Possibly stupid paper size question?

dmr

Registered Abuser
Local time
9:35 AM
I just got back from paper shopping. (Well, paper among other things.) :)

I figured since I now have a nice printer and I can do some nice smaller prints with it, I should try some larger prints of some of my recent better shots, so I thought I would try some 11x14s, since that's the size I have of some of my better older shots.

So anyway, both places I went to had a good selection, but jumped from 8 1/2 x 11 all the way to 13x19! (And Holy Sticker Shock, several lines are like us$50 for 20 sheets and UP!) I assumed there would be 11x14 or maybe 11x17, since that's a very common size that print shops use.

I asked the guy at the one place about 11x14 and he just kinda shrugged and said that nobody stocks that in inkjet paper. He also pointed out that there's no 8x10 either. "8 1/2 by 11 is the new 8x10", he remarked. I did pick up a pack of the less expensive Canon matte so I can try some larger prints, but that did come as a surprise.

Is 11x14 really going out of style for prints?

When I got back home I looked in the big B&H catalog and yes, they do list 8x10, 11x14, and 11x17 in some lines, but it's mostly 8 1/2 x 11 and 13x19.

Any comments on this? (Jeez, maybe I do lead a sheltered life.)

dmr,
It can be hit and miss when shopping for paper in the big box office supply stores. Sometimes you can find it, and other times it is gone. I think most of the stores only want to the common 8.5x11" size, and maybe one or two versions of the 13x19.

Unless your town has a photo store that stocks inkjet paper then I think mail order might be the best source for paper. Try this place, HERE

Take care,
Michael

mwooten said:
Unless your town has a photo store that stocks inkjet paper then I think mail order might be the best source for paper.

One of the places *IS* a photo shop, the area's last surving one, which incidentally just opened up a new branch in the area so they must be doing ok.

They have a great selection, lots of Canon and Ilford, and some I haven't heard of. Problem is, nothing between 8 1/2 x 11 and 13x19. I may have to go mail order (thanks for the link, I will check them out) since 13x19 is *HUGE*, like poster size almost. I did one 13x19 print and it's larger than I really want. That size is gonna be for special occasions only!

Besides, it looks like mail order is much cheaper for paper. Locally the Ilford is $49.95 for a box of 25, while at B&H it's $34 and change with 11x17 at $29-ish.

I use A3 size paper for 11x14s. It is 11.7 x 16.5". It is a standard size over here in the UK and all the paper manufacturers make paper in this size (Ilford, Epson etc.) It's a fair bit cheaper than 13x19".

Does your printer take roll paper? I find that rolls often work out a lot cheaper as you waste less paper. (E.g. a 13" roll would print out 11x14's without the same amount of waste paper as 13x19 sheets).

Last edited:
mrtoml said:
Does your printer take roll paper?

I don't think so. It's a HP 9180. I did RTFM, and I don't remember TFM saying anything about roll paper.

The only strange paper handling I know of is that you can feed canvas or other thick or stiff media one sheet at a time from the rear.

I don't know if I would like rolls or not. I don't plan on printing that many large prints, and when I do I might not want the surface that's on the loaded roll. :)

The one thing I'm not looking forward to is when those ink cartridges start running out. :(

Back