Post-processing suggestions for Fujifilm RAW

Pfreddee

Well-known
Local time
8:52 PM
I'm looking for suggestions for post-processing RAW images from my Fujifilm XT-10. I really don't want to go to Photoshop since it's a subscription program and I think my slow(er) internet connection would make for problems in using the program. Any other suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)

PS and LR CC actually run on your computer, not over the internet, so if your computer is adequate to run the programs irrespective of internet speed, you should be fine.

RawTherapee is a free RAW converter. It has everything under the sun to process global changes in your RAW files. That makes it look confusing, but you really don't need to learn all the crazy stuff it has.

Also, a copy of Photoshop Elements is non subscription and has a RAW converter which you can use or go straight from the converter to Elements do both global and local changes.

I sure you will get many suggestions: like Gimp etc. they all work.

I am using RAW file converter EX. 2 powered by SilkyPix...

It's not the developer version, so just the RAW converter and basic editing features... supplemented by Elements both of which came with equipment purchases (Elements with a scanner and the afore mentioned with the x100t).

I met the guys who developed SilkyPix at CP+ in Yokohama earlier this year and had them demo the developer version... there is a learning curve, but (IMHO) it's all there.

Lightroom + photoshop on photographers subscription is the best option. Subscription meaning that instead of paying outright for the software you pay a monthly fee to use it. Capture one is also good but as an example, capture one is costing me $30nzd a month - photoshop/lightroom is currently costing me 14 a month.

It's not the developer version, so just the RAW converter and basic editing features... supplemented by Elements both of which came with equipment purchases (Elements with a scanner and the afore mentioned with the x100t).

I met the guys who developed SilkyPix at CP+ in Yokohama earlier this year and had them demo the developer version... there is a learning curve, but (IMHO) it's all there.

I had exactly the same question as the OP as personally I hate subscription software. The solution is indeed SilkyPix but I went ahead with the paid-for version as it seems to be greatly superior to the FujiFilm bundled version, which I didn't like. I am now using is Developer Studio 7 (Version 7.1.16.0) and very happy with it. I think you should be able to download a free trial from the SilkyPix web site.

One important point is that not all software is able to deal with Fuji's RAW files (RAF), for example in automatically correcting the distortion of the zoom lens on my X30. Because SilkyPix works with FujiFilm on the bundled version, the paid-for version also deals with this.

I have been a long time convert to Corel Paintshop Pro for photo work which over the past 10 years has become very Photoshop-like. Except it still runs as a program on your PC by once off purchase and it is both MUCH cheaper and to my mind more suited to the needs of a photographer than Photoshop which I find unnecessarily clunky, if powerful. If you can use Photoshop you will be able to adapt to Paintshop Pro which has similar tools and commands (although there are minor terminology differences). Not sure if it supports XT 10 but I would be very surprised if the latest versions of the program do not, as they support a wide range of different cameras' RAW outputs. Another option could be to convert the XT 10 RAW output to DNG which Paintshop Pro does support (assuming Adobe's free DNG conversion tool supports XT 10).

Alternatively I would assume Adobe Lightroom supports your camera and it is simple to use and available in non subscription form to purchase (as well as subscription form). However I find it a bit limiting, though useful for simple quick post processing without too many effects when this is what I want.

I downloaded this from the Fuji site. (My camera was used so I did not get the CD.) My experience has been that it's often a coin-flip whether the in-camera .jpg or the "developed" raw image is better.

I do know that ufraw and those programs which use it do a vile job on Fuji raw files, at least those I've tried. They tell me (the ubuquitous "they") that it's because of the diagonal pixel arrangement and the kludge that they did in ufraw to make that work properly.

If you don't want a subscription, you can outright buy Lightroom and Photoshop Elements programs on disc or download. I don't need Photoshop and actually I've only played with Elements because Lightroom does all I need. Adobe also updates Lightroom so newer cameras have support.

Back