Praise for the Spotmatic

The Pentax Spotmatic can use other battery. It only needs to fit. It has a 'bridge' circuit, so 1,35 0r 1,55 is OK. Not exact but sufficient.
The radio active was minimal! Not so with a certain 50mm f1.2! Placed in a box with a postcard paper, in dark. In a few weeks it had a black circle!
Sold it as scrap, telling buyer of my test! Finding working meter is a quest! My Leica meter cds from Metrawatt was toast in 2.5 years! The SP lasted much longer!
Which 50f/1.2 is that? I've heard of certain Taylor Hobson large format lenses that are health and safety risk because of the radiation.

I was just remembering...a Pentax Spotmatic is what started me on the road to financial ruin and photography. And yet I've never owned one.

Over fifty years ago I was visiting an old friend. He had borrowed a Pentax from another friend in order to take B&W portraits to do sketches. He had done some pretty nice sketches I recall but what really got me intrigued were those drugstore prints in shades of grey. I thought they were beautiful. I had never been interested in photography before but I couldn't get those photos out of my head. I soon went to a news stand and bought every photo magazine I could find and spent 2-3 weeks totally absorbed in photos and stories about photographers, cameras and lenses. A few months later I was the owner of two Nikon Fs bought cheap from friends who were dumping them to buy the newly introduced Olympus OM-1.

Thank you, Pentax. You've cost me a fortune. 🤪

I was under the impression that only the Spotmatic F had a bridge circuit, rather than the whole Spotmatic line?
According to Gerjan Van Oosten book, all the Spotties have a balanced circuit which is pretty immune to voltage
This has been my experience over 40+ yrs of using Silver batteries.

However, some people report that the end of the EV scale suffers (low and very bright light)

The Pentax Spotmatic can use other battery. It only needs to fit. It has a 'bridge' circuit, so 1,35 0r 1,55 is OK. Not exact but sufficient.
The radio active was minimal! Not so with a certain 50mm f1.2! Placed in a box with a postcard paper, in dark. In a few weeks it had a black circle!
Sold it as scrap, telling buyer of my test! Finding working meter is a quest! My Leica meter cds from Metrawatt was toast in 2.5 years! The SP lasted much longer!
50/1.2? there is no M42 version of this, and the K-series is definitely not radioactive

So far from all the SP I have worked I'd say 1 lightmeter is dead out of every 5

If I don't find a decent spotmatic F for a reasonable price relatively soon and everything works I'm going to sell the pristine super multicoated takumar 50 1.4. Followed by the MX and keep the ME Super. Not a fan of stop down metering.

If I don't find a decent spotmatic F for a reasonable price relatively soon and everything works I'm going to sell the pristine super multicoated takumar 50 1.4. Followed by the MX and keep the ME Super. Not a fan of stop down metering.
I think you need to tone your expectations, and define what is reasonable price
You can find a working F but please do send it for maintenance.
Thus, a resonable price shouldd be $150 to $200

Why the secrecy? Plenty of lenses are known to be radioactive…

You are so right. All lenses that contain lanthanum are slightly radioactive but it is usually less than background radiation. I highly doubt that a civilian lens could be so radioactive that it could draw a black circle on a sheet of white paper within a few weeks.

I just got back a roll taken with a new to me Spotmatic and a S-T 55/1.8, of flowers in my yard. Really impressed -- especially considering these were close to minimum focus with a "nothing special" normal lens. A polarizer was the only enhancement. Every bit as good, and maybe better, than results from a Nikon FTn and 55/3.5 Nikkor (which is of course a superb lens) I took around the same time. And as is often stated about Nikkors from the 60s-70s, the Nikkor results were a little cool in tone compared with the S-T.

But staying on this topic (sort of) -- I have several of the pre-Spotmatic Pentaxes (e.g. SV) and the mirror sticks up on these with regularity. I've judiciously oiled in the places described in several online videos and the camera works fine -- when the lens is off the camera. When it's mounted, though, the mirror often stays up at the end of the shutter cycle. The advance is not jammed; the mirror just doesn't return. I can't figure out why -- I'm wondering whether the rear pin on the lens somehow hangs up on the "pusher plate" (my term) at the bottom of the lens opening. I know these cameras probably just need a full overhaul, but I'm wondering if there are specific causes an amateur like me can address.

But staying on this topic (sort of) -- I have several of the pre-Spotmatic Pentaxes (e.g. SV) and the mirror sticks up on these with regularity. I've judiciously oiled in the places described in several online videos and the camera works fine -- when the lens is off the camera. When it's mounted, though, the mirror often stays up at the end of the shutter cycle. The advance is not jammed; the mirror just doesn't return. I can't figure out why -- I'm wondering whether the rear pin on the lens somehow hangs up on the "pusher plate" (my term) at the bottom of the lens opening. I know these cameras probably just need a full overhaul, but I'm wondering if there are specific causes an amateur like me can address.
I'm interested in this as well. My SL (serviced in 2021) did this twice on the last roll I shot with it.

How are the pre-spotmatics activating the lens aperture? Are they using the same level at the bottom of the mount? Maybe this part is struggling with pushing the lens pin in?

Back