Leica LTM Pre-war Leica glass, show your photos

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Simon--love the picture of point neuf and of your wife applying the makeup.
Point neuf is REALLY excellent--I love the doggie's look--it's like its checking you out to make sure you are OK...:)
Thanks again.
Paul

Summar and III from 1937 on Double X:

5687798014_5d443ba840_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/5687798014/

5678725803_8ccbf77c62_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/5678725803

This is a lovely thread. I am going to come here often to get my dose of poison, as well as save up for a Summar or Summitar for my M3!

Since I am on this, would you all think that its important to match the pre-war glass with a relatively similar film and developer? I think a matching combo will be equally important to achieve 'the look'.

Am I on the right track or did I just confuse myself? :bang:

This is a wonderful thread, so many nice photos, I don't know where to begin :)

I think the next Xenon that I will be buying is a WW2 one (1942) which already has the experimental "B" coating on it.

I really do miss a Xenon, I will be very happy when I have another one back again.......

I have very few "uncoated" lenses anymore, while all the WW2 issue Carl Zeiss lenses I use are "coated" But, all three of my Grey IIIC K cameras have original issue "uncoated" Elmar and Summitar 50mm standard lenses and in the WW2 kit I have a 1940 Elmar f4/90 that's also "uncoated", I'll be picking up that 90 Elmar to do some vintage portrait shooting soon :)

I like the everyday feel the Elmar f3.5/50 gives, I have to use it more once the M8 is back from Solms, try to duplicate that 1940's "slide film" look on a "uncoated" lens.........

I'm also looking at buying a WW2 Luftwaffe kit with two IIIC cameras and both lenses on them are also "uncoated" (a Summar and a Summitar 50) ~ I miss working with a really nice Summar, they have a really great look about them, very Leicaisque just like the f3.5/50 Elmar's have. :)

Keep Up The Great Work People Shooting The "Uncoated" Stuff! :D

Tom

Last edited:
This is a lovely thread. I am going to come here often to get my dose of poison, as well as save up for a Summar or Summitar for my M3!

Since I am on this, would you all think that its important to match the pre-war glass with a relatively similar film and developer? I think a matching combo will be equally important to achieve 'the look'.

Am I on the right track or did I just confuse myself? :bang:

Depends on what you want from the image, I guess.

However, I'd like to see how things work out (thinking of Keith's BRILLIANT pre-war shots scanning threads from a while back!) and will be shooting RolleiRetro100 this weekend. Camera will be a FED-S with FED 50/2.0 Summar clone and FED 100/6.3 tele. Developing will be Rodinal 1:100 stand.

It'll be interesting to see how the combo of uncoated lens, Agfa APX and Rodinal will work out.

Meanwhile, GREAT SHOTS here! Real inspiring!

Shot this weekend at an international boys and girls soccer tournament at a small town in the eastern part of the Netherlands.

Lens used: nickel 35mm Elmar from 1933 - with factory coated lenses (which was probably done after WWII). These nickel elmars were only made during first three years of production, after that they became chromium. When properly stopped down these lenses are capable of nice color rendering and resolution. Of course they are less contrasty compared to modern lenses. Both shots taken at f 6.3.

Kopie%20van%20L1004458.jpg

Kopie%20van%20L1004447.jpg

here is another shot, from the church of a small town nearby the tournament:

Kopie%20van%20L1004428.jpg

Last edited:
attachment.php

FED-S, FED 50/2.0, RolleiRetro400 @ 250, Rodinal 1:100

Serial number on the camera is missing. My model camera and the lens were made between 1938 and the time the factory at Charkov was destroyed by the Germans.
Yuri at Fedka.com had my camera and lens CLA'd by Jerry Sorin and I love the image quality it now has.

Attachments

• 20110612-35RolleiRetro400-1252-1.jpg
    20110612-35RolleiRetro400-1252-1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
It works! thank you Jim! enjoying your portfolio.
Dan

this also with the nickel Elmar 50/3.5 mentioned earlier
U24092I1308436441.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
Raid; The colours from the CZJ are breathtaking.
Dan; I love the bicycle shot!
Erik; The shot with the kid amidst the trees is lovely.

I gotta go get an Elmar!

Erik! Very HCB ;)
Great stuff everyone!

LH110629.jpg

Another one from the Harbor Festival a couple of weeks ago. Leica IIIc + 90mm f/4 Elmar (1937, coated)

Hi guys, finally did my first two rolls of Delta 100 with my Summar (coated). Ilford DDX, Delta 100, 14min, 1:4.

I have mushy grain, low contrast shots. I expected the low contrast shots, but I have difficulty accepting the lack of sharpness even at F8-11 range. Is this normal?

I have shot some at Infinity focus, and yet they are all OOF. Am I doing something wrong, or am I expecting too much of the Summar?

The vintage look is lovely, but the lack of consistency in focus is killing me softly (pun intended).

Your feedback is most welcomed.

Levels & sharpness were adjusted for this one.
p756957164-3.jpg

F8 or more, notice how its OOF. Normal?
p634878854-3.jpg

Infinity focus, yet nothing is focused! Or am I wrong?
p716194324-3.jpg

:mad:But I still love my Summar and intend to try more to see if it was a user error. Could it be the lens reacting to the Delta's and DDX?

Back