Prints are coming out with low contrast, what gives?

get the filters. You are just going to waste time and paper until you do. Trust me :)

VC paper is apparently not supposed to be used without a filter. VC paper with a #2 filter is analogous to #2 graded paper. VC paper without filters is not the same as grade 2 paper.

OK 40oz. Since you are so vociferous about it, I will get the filters. Please don't be offended if I try to solve the problem by other means first, THEN try the filters.

When I printed last time with VC paper, I never used filters, and the results were great. I'm sure you're right in that the results can be better with filters, but if it is a light leak issue, the filters aren't going to help at all. First things first!

D76 is a developer for FILM, not paper. Try Dektol. You must use a filter if printing on multiGrade paper. No filter would produce very flat prints.

I would think better to buy a set of Ilford's Multigrade Filters (know whar size you need.) This way you can get the kind of control you need with black & white printing. Have fun!

I use the Ilford filters, which are thin acetate, and i like them very much. I had to trim them down to size for my 23CII.

Epilogue

Epilogue

Thanks to you guys, I'm having some success now.

I spent 14 hours in the darkroom today. I changed the safelight, and did a better job sealing up the door. That made a huge difference.

I also bought the multicontrast filters, and printed most of them at #2. (good tip)

Most of the day, I fought the battle with "dust". (lost most times) The negative was clean, the print was clean, yet I had dust in different places on each print.

Miraculously, when I switched to 5x7 from 8x10, I had no dust on the print.

I finally figured out that I had been scratching the emulsion on the print with my plastic tongs when I pushed the print down in the developer. :bang:

For the last couple hours, things went much more smoothly. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips guys.

Filters

Filters

YES, YOU NEED FILTERS.
To prove it and to convince you I made a digital simulation with ConverttoBWPro: acts like Ilford multigrade
More examples available. but it seems I am limited to 3 uploads

Wim

Attachments

• neg.jpg
    neg.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • nofilt.jpg
    nofilt.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 0
  • filt3.jpg
    filt3.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 0
More filters

More filters

The rest of the simulation

Attachments

• filt2.jpg
    filt2.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 0
  • filt4.jpg
    filt4.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 0
  • filt5.jpg
    filt5.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0
OK, so which ones simulate which filters? The last one looks like a #4 or #5.

Back