Prints from the X-Pro1, anyone?

Not to slag on Ctein's print -- mine arrived yesterday -- but to my eyes, it's merely a very good print,
To that end, I think it will be interesting to see how TOP's readers react to the print...

Of course I have not seen the print. I prefer to throw my money away on other things.

To me this Ctein print episode was a just another example of Ctein feeding his ego (which appears to have the appetite of a black hole). He has been on a holy quest to prove sensor size is irrelevant to image quality.

TOP's readership will ooooh and ahhhh over the print because they treat Ctein as if he were the Wizard Of Oz... which might not be far fetched.

I have already seen beautiful 60" wide prints which were shot with a 5D-MkII.
So the capability is there, no doubt.
The experience of someone how already printed files from the X-Pro1 is in my interest.

Was it tricky?
How hard was the adjustment phase?
How the colors came out?

I usually prints in a studio where they have a Lambda machine and, in occasions, we still do several test cycles to reach the optimum quality out of my 5DMkII files.
Since the files I have seen from the x-pro1 looks SO clear, I wondered about prints quality.

To me this Ctein print episode was a just another example of Ctein feeding his ego (which appears to have the appetite of a black hole). He has been on a holy quest to prove sensor size is irrelevant to image quality.

I'll keep my response here brief, lest this thread drift too far away from the original topic, but I believe you are seriously misunderstanding Ctein's position about sensor size and image quality.

I have, in fact, had quite a lot of communication (phone conversations, email correspondence) with him on this subject and even went so far as to let him borrow my medium-format digital outfit for a month so that he could see for himself what it has to offer. Mind you, I'm not his toady, as I disagree with him about a number of other matters, although most of our differences of opinion revolve around subjective matters of personal taste and preference, not objective facts.

Anyway, as I understand his position, he doesn't dispute that larger sensors typically provide better image quality, but he does dispute whether the improved image quailty is worth the cost, not only in terms of puchase price, but also camera size, ease of use, etc. For his purposes, he views m4/3 cameras as being a good compromise among all of these factors and, frankly, I agree with him, as I myself was happily using several 4/3 and m4/3 cameras prior to buying a Contax / P30+ outfit, and I came to them directly from shooting 8x10 film, which set the bar for image quality fairly high. (And as it happens, I'm still using m4/3 cameras occasionally, because for some purposes, they're truly without peer!)

But enough of this...

TOP's readership will ooooh and ahhhh over the print because they treat Ctein as if he were the Wizard Of Oz... which might not be far fetched.

LOL ... I suspect you're probably correct with this observation, at least so far as the TOP readers are concerned. :)

Back