prints on the wall...

We have very much art in our house. Mixed media, engravings, oil paintings, charcoal sketches, ceramics, collectible posters and a photo or two by other photographers. We have enough art to rotate pieces. There are a few family member photos of mine that are in certain places.

I have about 160 framed photos from various exhibits I have done. They are stored in crates and shipping containers. But I see that work all the time. I just do not see any need to hang that up in our house. Other people have my work in their house, I have theirs in mine.

FWIW, years ago I tried hanging some of my photos in my regular work office. People got very confused trying to reconcile the Bob they knew at work with the Bob that made those photos. The Jekyll and Hyde really confused them. So I took everything down.

even though i am now a digital rf shooter i still have prints made and hang them on my walls.
i have pretty much standardized on 8x10 prints hung gallery style...just stright across the wall, all at the same height from the ceiling.
i like the look and somehow it's very popular with my visiting friends. i think it makes me look more of a photographer than an interior decorator ;).

lately, i have bought a few 'nice' frames (not my usual cheap ikea ones) and larger frames. i had a 16x20 print of one of my more visited/commented on flickr images.

and damn it looks good in that big frame...now i just need to find/make room on a wall for it. that's the hard part so far...

and so, feeling quite satisfied with myself i now encourage those of you who do not hang your images for others to view...to do so!

Takes courage to display your own work. Congratulations! A good method is to simply mount on plain white board. No frames necessary. Simple, quick, and lovely.

Back