Pro-photographers, time to reconsider

Thanks PKR for your answer. I started to use the x1 (german one!) and as consequence I appreciate the benefits of digital (in a small size camera). The 35mm is the focal lens I use most of time on my film camera, let say 70% and in this respect the x1 is ok for me. But I miss the medium-tele chance for the other 30% ! Therefore I think about an MFT camera with a 45/50 mm (90 eq) to have beside my x1.
I do not print bigger than A3 (30x42 cm or 11.69 × 16.54 in) and I guess the MFT sensor size could give good results...
robert

Thanks, but what I would like is to fill the gap in the 75-90 (eq) lens. The x100 is 35 eq. Maybe the x1pro, but first I want to test one...I know, I'm a difficult buyer...
robert

Will;

I'm with Steve M. After reading this thread as well as the links provided, it has me seriously considering selling my Nikon D7000 and lenses and getting an OMD. I never paid much attention to the 4/3 format or the OMD but now.....the more I read, the more interested I become.

Thanks!
Paul

Will;

I'm with Steve M. After reading this thread as well as the links provided, it has me seriously considering selling my Nikon D7000 and lenses and getting an OMD. I never paid much attention to the 4/3 format or the OMD but now.....the more I read, the more interested I become.

Thanks!
Paul

I don't blame you, Paul.
I'm concentrating all my funds to launch a website.
Otherwise, I'd be shooting with a black OM-D already :eek:

That 45 1.8 and either the Panny 40 1.7 or the Leica 25 1.5 are calling me!!! Assuming I take the plunge, can't decide to go silver body or black; they both look so damn cute!!

Paul

Aside from semantics, it can't be said that the only advantage of FF is DOF or dynamic range, etc. As with film, the larger the sensor the better. Whatever a smaller sensor can do, a larger one can do more of. So surface area matters.

What bugs me a bit about m4/3 cameras is that excessive edge sharpening effect they've got going on. In that comparison the nikon is super super smooth and just pleasing, even at 100%, and the m4/3 has this jarring crunchiness to the contrast edges that gives it a real 'small sensor' look IMO.

It does if you're pixel-peeping. Don't pixel-peep (preferably, print), and that problem largely goes away. Also, you can set the level of sharpening to JPEGs. I always set it low.

The thing that bothers me most about RFs is you can't see through the lens. The thing I like lease about SLRs is that you can't see outside the frame and the image leaves when the mirror flipps up. EVF cameras have too much current drain for the EV system. I could go on..

Hmmm, no camera is perfect. Sometimes I think that I should buy a box of watercolor pencils :)

robert

PS: but then my hands will be no perfect and....

The thing that bothers me most about RFs is you can't see through the lens. The thing I like lease about SLRs is that you can't see outside the frame and the image leaves when the mirror flipps up. EVF cameras have too much current drain for the EV system. I could go on..
If you just focus on what bothers you, you won't take any pictures.

Yours truly,

The Real Uncle Earl

What bugs me a bit about m4/3 cameras is that excessive edge sharpening effect they've got going on. In that comparison the nikon is super super smooth and just pleasing, even at 100%, and the m4/3 has this jarring crunchiness to the contrast edges that gives it a real 'small sensor' look IMO.

I always shoot RAW and do whatever sharpening that may or may not be necessary in post processing.

It does if you're pixel-peeping. Don't pixel-peep (preferably, print), and that problem largely goes away. Also, you can set the level of sharpening to JPEGs. I always set it low.

I always shoot RAW and do whatever sharpening that may or may not be necessary in post processing.

I personally can see the 'look' I was talking about at medium-ish print sizes, but only when compared to other more expensive cameras of course.

I don't think it's a raw/jpeg thing either, as I've always shot raw with 4/3 cameras.

Back