Problem with rear setting wheel

Ivanskavinsky

Local time
2:58 AM
Hi people, newbie here with large hole in wallet and a weird issue with new M8. Everything else seems fine so far but the rear wheel is acting up.
Every 6th click it freezes for 2 clicks, then carries on it's merry way...
I've had it for about 7 hours :mad: updated firmware straight away with no issues, problem was there before & after. Any hints, clues, advice before I take it back? Many thanks,

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

The only issue I've noted with the rear jog-wheel is that it can really cause "flickering" in the menus of the camera if you use it to change items. It can start moving the selections across a menu at a furious rate and it would appear to be going "crazy" per se.

I've since decided that the best way to select anything is by using the arrow buttons versus the jog-wheel.

To be honest, the only purpose that jog wheel seems to serve is to "zoom" in on a photo on the display - completely silly from a usability perspective imho - why create the wheel with only one function.

Don't stress it...if you can use the arrow buttons instead.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Dave,
I also worked that out. I'm conditioned from over a decade of Canon EOS to use the wheel I guess. As you say it actually does next to nothing...
Makes a mockery of the self important "This Leica product was meticulously examined by" statement though.

Even if it never turns out to be any more than this, it's not a good way to start with a new product that carries such a price tag & leaves me a bit nervous about what may come next...

All that said, it still feels great, the viewfinder is lovely and it's a joy to be using a digital M.

Happy but grumbling,
Ivan

I found that the only time my wheel causes the crazy scrolling is the first time after the camera is switched on. It persists with the latest firmware too. If I do something else after switching the camera on (like pressing another button) and then use the wheel it won't go crazy. Another thing the wheel does (again, only on the first try after startup) is skip over items. I think that's just a lesser instance of crazy scrolling. I have to think that if it was a firmware thing it would've been fixed by now, so probably it will never be fixed until the next model.

I find that occasionally while zooming in to an image the camera will actually zoom OUT to thumbnail mode, and then with continued rotation it proceeds to zoom in. I am precise in my motion, and I think it's a glitch in the wheel or the software.

Anyone else notice this?

I find that occasionally while zooming in to an image the camera will actually zoom OUT to thumbnail mode, and then with continued rotation it proceeds to zoom in. I am precise in my motion, and I think it's a glitch in the wheel or the software.

Anyone else notice this?

Yep, I've seen that too Ed.

Dave

Okay guys, clearly the wheel isn't perfect. Thanks to your feedback though I'm mostly over it and enjoying making pictures again.
I have to wait till the w/end to collect my swanky new 28 Elmarit then I've got about 6 weeks of shooting to get through :)

Incidentally, I've been trying to code my 21 VC with a Milich LTM adapter (bought from a shop in London) but it's not playing ball. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Cheers,
Ivan

LOL ... it shouldn't amuse us M8 owners that our cameras do these quirky things but you really do have to have a sense of humour to own one. In this age of souless electronic efficiency it truly is unique to own a high end digital that behaves like a Kiev bought on impulse off eBay. :p (sorry Ruben)

Ah Keith, I hear ya.
At least the output is helping me retain my sense of humour:D
That & I've got 2 years to send it back...

Ivan

LOL ... it shouldn't amuse us M8 owners that our cameras do these quirky things but you really do have to have a sense of humour to own one. In this age of souless electronic efficiency it truly is unique to own a high end digital that behaves like a Kiev bought on impulse off eBay. :p (sorry Ruben)

Incidentally, I've been trying to code my 21 VC with a Milich LTM adapter (bought from a shop in London) but it's not playing ball. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

Cheers,
Ivan

Do you have the correct adapter? It must bring up the correct framelines (28/90) to allow coding on a 21 mm lens.

Last edited:
Hi Jaap,

Yep, it brings up the 28/90 but isn't behaving:bang:
I used a CD pen (sharpie) and Tippex to code it, all nice and clean as per Carsten's wonderful online guide.
It's quite a tight fit but mounts fine.
It appears to be made out of brass, would that make a difference?

Cheers for any help,
Ivan

Do you have the correct adapter? It must bring up the correct framelines (28/90) to allow coding on a 21 mm lens.

Back