Production numbers for Black Paint Leicaflex cameras, please?

johannielscom

Snorting silver salts
Local time
5:59 AM
Anyone that can get me a link to a trustworthy overview of black paint Leicaflex production numbers?
Recently I read somewhere that the original Leicaflex in black paint was produced in even lower numbers than the M3, but I cannot recall where I read this.

I am the happy owner of two black paint Leicaflex SL cameras and would like to know if it's wise to take them out and shoot them, or should I be wiser to keep them as nice as possible and get a pair of chrome cameras to use as daily shooters?

Look here - put together by Steve Gandy many years ago. Not much help in your case, but it's the best source I've seen. I doubt Leica recorded the numbers assigned to PB SL cameras (there are many examples of this on various models).

Bill, thanks.

That list however does not contain any info on black paint SLR cameras at all... Just production numbers in general.

I recall back in 2007 when we used to say of M3s and M2s in black paint that production numbers were unknown or uncertain... In the end they were recorded more consistent than we all thought back then, although there is no 100% certainty to be found in the records.
I'm hoping this is also the case with the black paint Leicaflexes.

Somewhere I have the SL MOT production numbers, most of which were black chrome and one or two chrome. I know of black paint versions too but have never seen one. These were anyway very low production runs below 1000 units however in the case of the SLMOT rarity does not turn into value. If you look under or on the back of the pressure plate on an SLMOT you may find a number. This denotes stage or version and is only really relevant to a Leitz technician.

Last time I looked SL black paint wasn't too big a price even at the Leicashop in Vienna.

From what I understand the Leicaflex Standard in black paint is the rare model with only a couple hundred each of Mark I and Mark II versions. I don’t think the SL is as rare, they are pretty easy to find for sale.

The black paint standards don’t show up very often from what I have seen.

Michael,

there was a time when a black paint M3 wasn't worth all that much more than a nice chrome one as well... Those days have since passed.
;)

Still hoping anyone can help me find an answer to the initial question, are there any production numbers of the black paint Leicaflexes known anywhere?

I know this is an old thread, but here goes anyway.
The earliest production black paint Leicaflex standard Mk1 was spring (March- April) 1966, None before that!. They were never were shipped with silver lenses and why would they. The production numbers are in the 200s (smaller production than a 57' black paint MP, not the 1000 as often scene. There are lots of chrome standards in 1084000-108500. I have documented a lot of them. Try and find a black paint in those numbers, Hen's teeth. Mk IIs much the same (cosmetic changes) but M4 paint as opposed to the M2,3 paint of the MK1. Just some more info.

I know this is an old thread, but here goes anyway.
The earliest production black paint Leicaflex standard Mk1 was spring (March- April) 1966, None before that!. They were never were shipped with silver lenses and why would they. The production numbers are in the 200s (smaller production than a 57' black paint MP, not the 1000 as often scene. There are lots of chrome standards in 1084000-108500. I have documented a lot of them. Try and find a black paint in those numbers, Hen's teeth. Mk IIs much the same (cosmetic changes) but M4 paint as opposed to the M2,3 paint of the MK1. Just some more info.
I'm also very curious about the black paint Leicaflex production and serial numbers too. You mention you have documented a lot of them. I'm particularly interested in the s/n for SL MOT's. I have one, and using a look-up tool on Red Dot Camera's website received the following: "The Camera with serial Number 1296--- is a reserviert build in the year 1972" Could you share your idea what the message means? Any clarity on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I will specially address your supplied serial number for reference.
1296.. does not indicate an MOT suffixed SL. The word in your inquiry you were curious about, suggests Leica, and I do not speak for them and defer to your references, will, at a particular Dealer or customer request, make a specific camera "not" in the series. "Reserviert" would indicate such a request and fulfillment.

I enjoy using the Leicaflex, I have five of them. SL MOT, chrome Standard, chrome SL, black paint SL and a chrome/black SL. Two of the bodies were CLAed by DAG. Here is a photo of the bodies:

Leicaflex's.JPG

Last edited:
Here is one of the first 20 black paint Leicaflexs' made, in original found condition with later lens.

Attachments

• 5297C92E-4687-4FCB-B357-F324E982F52E_1_201_a.jpeg
    5297C92E-4687-4FCB-B357-F324E982F52E_1_201_a.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 9333AEED-16AE-48E9-95F3-D764E78C384A_1_201_a.jpeg
    9333AEED-16AE-48E9-95F3-D764E78C384A_1_201_a.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 7
Back