Professional review of M9 Monochrome

I think bobbyrab was implying that I was showing off my expensive camera to my subjects as i was shooting, then ran them over in my Rolls Royce. Maybe next time I should use a disposable camera and have it approved by my subjects to ensure its also within 'their' budget too. I've been back on this forum for a day and I'm already getting attacked for contributing.....swell crowd that reminds me why i left in the first place.

I've got no axe to grind with you Kristian, and as a long time Leica user do I have any grudge against Leica.
Personally I sit on the side of the fence that thinks there is no worth in photographing beggars unless it's part of a project that might have something to say on the subject, but just to photograph someone at their lowest point is in my opinion a worthless exercise be it with a cheap or an expensive camera. Nor do I see it as a wealth issue, by definition beggars are poor, no it's the loss of dignity of the beggars that I don't feel comfortable with, but that's my personal view and I have never before criticised anyone else for doing so.
However I did think it crass to use such a photo as an example of the prowess of your latest camera kit. Ok maybe it's just me and i have a lower threshold than you, but I'm sure there would be images your familiar with that you would think were inappropriate to discuss the technical aspects of gear, is there a line you wouldn't cross?
Finally I've no idea what's happened to you in the past on this forum, but this is not a personal attack.

I've got no axe to grind with you Kristian, and as a long time Leica user do I have any grudge against Leica.
Personally I sit on the side of the fence that thinks there is no worth in photographing beggars unless it's part of a project that might have something to say on the subject, but just to photograph someone at their lowest point is in my opinion a worthless exercise be it with a cheap or an expensive camera. Nor do I see it as a wealth issue, by definition beggars are poor, no it's the loss of dignity of the beggars that I don't feel comfortable with, but that's my personal view and I have never before criticised anyone else for doing so.
However I did think it crass to use such a photo as an example of the prowess of your latest camera kit. Ok maybe it's just me and i have a lower threshold than you, but I'm sure there would be images your familiar with that you would think were inappropriate to discuss the technical aspects of gear, is there a line you wouldn't cross?
Finally I've no idea what's happened to you in the past on this forum, but this is not a personal attack.

Bobby thanks for the explanation and I do understand where you're coming from. But you make one assumption that is untrue. This picture was not a one-off pic of a beggar. It is part of a longer-term project that comes from a good place I believe. I posted this picture because it's what I felt like posting and wasn't using it as a demonstration of the camera's ability, but more so my own.

Inappropriate images used to discuss technical aspects is not something I really think about because I'm far from being a professional reviewer. I have my opinions but I focus more on the photography these days and try less to be involved in such technical talk that doesn't contribute to the improvement of my work.

The issues in the past probably refer to other forums and not this one specifically, but I'm starting to grow tired of the modern Leica and street photographers that come to forums with a superiority attitude and don't contribute positively. While you may think my picture has a negative message, you assumed wrong. Maybe I should have put a caption, and I honestly didn't think much about it other than wanting to share a picture that i feel strongly about.

Either way, misunderstandings happen often and I'm glad we talked it out professionally :cool:

I probably should have asked a few questions before posting as I did, it was very much a knee jerk reaction. I don't have a problem with the image per se, and certainly not if it's in a larger context. So I'm sorry if I caused offence.
This sort of image has been on my mind more since I come across a guy in Italy who runs photography courses, He takes groups of photographers to India where they head for the poorer districts of the city, presumably to teach them the aesthetics of photographing poverty. He had a video of him tutoring a group of photographers to a man wearing multi pocketed photo vests. It did rather look like they were on a safari, and some might say that they are.

I probably should have asked a few questions before posting as I did, it was very much a knee jerk reaction. I don't have a problem with the image per se, and certainly not if it's in a larger context. So I'm sorry if I caused offence.
This sort of image has been on my mind more since I come across a guy in Italy who runs photography courses, He takes groups of photographers to India where they head for the poorer districts of the city, presumably to teach them the aesthetics of photographing poverty. He had a video of him tutoring a group of photographers to a man wearing multi pocketed photo vests. It did rather look like they were on a safari, and some might say that they are.

Hey any offense taken is forgotten and I know it wasn't intentional.

Yeah those kinds of Safari's just aren't right. That is something for individuals to do and certainly not the environment where teaching should be done. Coming from a celebrity-entertainment background, I find the contrast just what I need to find balance in my photography and street and documentary is where it all started for me and that is why I shoot what I do.

Anyway, back on topic.....

We must try to think in a more fair way: "If Krystian had not shoot it then would it be possible to see something similar in our own surroundings? If he had no shoot it but tried to describe by writing ten pages about it, would it still be this striking?"

I hold photography as being the "short-cut" and most honest way to make others see what we see... and the photographer as an observer in pursue of recording the coincidences created by form and time -may the subject be what it will, even cruel truths- worth to preserve by making them look aesthetically noteworthy.

but I'm starting to grow tired of the modern Leica and street

This hits the nail on the head, I don't think it's only this drum either.

A few of the Leica ’street photographers' that I've met around the traps have had that attitude problem towards me as I shoot with an "inferior" M8...:rolleyes::confused:

Don't get me tarted on hipsters either... :bang:

A few of the Leica ’street photographers' that I've met around the traps have had that attitude problem towards me as I shoot with an "inferior" M8...:rolleyes::confused:....

Just smile and let them feel superior, the message is in the shot taken, not in the tool itself... You also have a..holes behind the sterring wheels of expensive cars and they don't know how to park if not valet ;).

Back