Washington (state) Pspcs

Doug

Staff member
Local time
9:36 PM
Puget Sound Photographic Collectors Society
http://www.geocities.com/pspcs/index.html

This club puts on a big annual swap meet of international proportions on the 4th Saturday each April at the Puyallup WA fairgrounds east of Tacoma.

PSPCS Society Goals
Founded in 1979, the Puget Sound Photographic Collectors Society is a non-profit organization of more than 200 members. The members have a wide diversity of interests and expertise. However, we are devoted to the hobby of learning about our photographic past; including the collecting and preserving of antique and classic cameras, - images, - lenses, - accessories, - photographic literature, and advertising. One of the main goals of the club is to help and inform others who would like to know more about their photographic heritage.

PSPCS Club Meetings
The club meets on the third Thursday of each month (7:30 to 10:00 p.m.) at the Des Moines Masonic Temple, 2208 S. 223rd, Des Moines, Washington (take Midway exit 149 west off I-5, go to first stoplight west of Pacific Hwy. S., turn right on 24th, then left on 223rd [map] ). Arrive early for swapping and trading. There is no meeting in July or August. The October meeting is a Saturday swap meet. Club dues are $10.00.

Annual show yesterday

Annual show yesterday

I went to the annual 4th Saturday-in-April camera show, billed as the largest in the western USA, a PSPCS club event with 250 tables. It might not have been 250 tables this time, as it appeared noticeably smaller this year and did not fill the hall. One of the vendors said it was down by about 20% this year, probably due to the internet in general and eBay specifically. Film camera prices are way down. Waaayyyy down below KEH prices. :eek:

I'm afraid I didn't help the flow of cash very much though, and I'm trying to feel guilty about leaving so many goodies behind. I found a replacement diopter ring for my Pentax 67, and an original manual for my Canon Elph IX. I looked for Kindermann developing tanks and reels without success.

Then as I was admiring the display at one table, I noted a Kodak Instamatic 154. This is just the very basic model 104 with the addition of a spring-drive advance. I told the vendor that when I worked part-time in a retail camera shop in 1965 my boss had sent me to K-Mart to buy a dozen Intstamatics they had at such a special price it was lower than his wholesale cost. Then, the table-holder just gave it to me free! I didn't even ask if it worked, I was so surprised. But I joked that now I'd have to work to find some flash cubes for it... So he reached down under the table and pulled out a bundle of packages of flash cubes and gave those to me too. Amazing... Need some film, but the usual film seller was absent!

The Instamatic was quite inconsistent with the rest of his display, which was a collection of beautiful 100+ year old wooden cameras with brass fittings and red bellows. A couple of them bore the brand "Poco". They were all in beautiful condition... and for sale. The stereo camera club (I think from Portland OR) had an interesting display as usual, and there were a couple of Argus displays, and one with Argus movie gear.

And "Tak from Mac" was here again this year. This is the gent Stephen Gandy told about in CVUG list, a buyer for Japanese collectors who just retired. So what's he doing at the PSPCS annual camera show? Still buying collector-grade camera gear! He now deals under the name Tak Trading, in Torrance CA, email [email protected]

I had left my Minolta CLE with Pentax 43mm lens in the car, and stopped on the way home to snap a roadside memorial for a couple of schoolgirls who'd been killed there by traffic.

Doug

Doug,
Now I really wish I didn't have to work this weekend and missed the show. Two others who went with me last year didn't make it either, then add in the rain this year.......... less spending money .......
I heard the Argus set-up went well.
Glad you found a friend anyway ~ ; - )

Minolta CLE with Pentax

Minolta CLE with Pentax

I had left my Minolta CLE with Pentax 43mm lens in the car, and stopped on the way home to snap a roadside memorial for a couple of schoolgirls who'd been killed there by traffic.

Doug—

How does one put a Pentax 43mm on a CLE? Is that the 43mm Limited I've read such good things about? (AND the next question has to be where can I get a good CLE?!!!)

Cheers,

Tom Turnbull

What's happening around Seattle at the end of June?

What's happening around Seattle at the end of June?

Dear All,

My wife and I will be coming to Marysville and Seattle the last half of June for our son's wedding. We're thinking of hanging around from the 26th through the 29th, but wonder if there'll be special events, exhibitions, wonderful weather, crowds at the Olympic Penninsula (which we've never visited) etc, etc that would make it particularily worth while?

I had hoped to rent an Epson RD-1 but Glazers only sells them. Any suggestions as to where I could get good B/W processing done?

Cheers and Blessings,

Tom Turnbull

The lens is a "Pentax-L" indicating Leica thread mount, so it can also be fit to Leica M cameras by using the adaptor. Here's a snap of it on an M2, and the other pic is that roadside memorial I mentioned above that was shot with that lens on the CLE...

I guess CLEs are where you stumble across them unexpectedly! I see KEH has a couple of CLs but no CLEs that I see. I suppose eBay is a possibility --- Here's a 3-lens kit in California:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=7515539408&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And here's a nice looking CLE with 40mm in Ontario Canada and a very decent BIN price of $650:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=7516182397&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Here's just a body-only in CT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=7516925124&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Glazer's is a good place to shop, with lots of droolable goodies on hand. I don't know good labs any more in that area, and the excellent lab I use in Yakima is probably not on your itinerary! You might want to visit the big Boeing plant in Mukilteo, on the south edge of Everett... largest open unobstructed-interior building there, put up for assembling 747's; interesting place if you can get a tour. I used to work there...

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Doug —

Thanks for all the info! I've looked at the CLEs you mentioned and will be watching the body only item. Boeing is a destination I hadn't thought of and will consider. We're also thinking of the Olympic Peninsula, which neither of s has seen much of.

B/W processing in Yakima would not be ideal, but it would get the film processed before going through x-rays, and if you vouch for them, it might be worth the slight inconvenience to get good work done. So, yes, please, give me some contact info!

What led you to the Pentax and what leads you to keep it? It certainly did its share with that moving picture of the roadside memorial — subject matter that I often try to do justice to, too.)

Follow the Light!

Tom

Tom, surely there must be a good lab in Seattle... looking in the yellow pages under Custom Photo Finishing reminds me of Pacific Color, long a pro-quality establishment that the local camera shop would send to for top results years ago... 1-800-552-7407, at 7107 Woodlawn Ave NE (not far from the Seattle zoo). www.pacificcolorinc.com

The Yakima lab I use is Photo Haus, 208 S. 5th Ave, Yakima 98902, 1-509-575-1770. I once asked them about mailers, so that I could send back processing while away on vacation, and they said they could do that. Maybe your usual local lab will too? Then you'd have processing already done and waiting for you when you got back.

Thanks for the comment on the memorial shot. I am a Pentax fan since 1964, and had heard of the Limited series for SLRs, and later learned they'd made a few 43's in LTM as well... A Canadian RFF member had one he'd bought in Japan (I hear they were never imported here), and offered it for sale. I also like 40mm lenses, so I'm enjoying a little variety.

Since you're going to Marysville, you might prefer one of the more northern routes across Puget Sound to the Olympic Penninsula. There's a ferry from Edmonds, between Everett and Seattle, to Kingston on the west side. From there it's a drive across the Hood Canal floating bridge. Not far from the Penninsula end of the bridge is an interesting town you might want to stop to see: Port Townsend. This was once quite a metropolis, and might have become the hub of state commerce except that Seattle had a better rail connection. There were foreign consulates there, and charming Victorian architecture.

There's also a ferry from Mukilteo, where the Boeing 747 plant is, to Clinton near the southern tip of Whidbey Island. That's a nifty artsy town... From there you could drive up the island to Keystone and Fort Casey which guarded the entrance to Puget Sound. And there's a small and rather obscure ferry from there direct to Port Townsend! What a coincidence... :)

Hope you enjoy your trip to the Olympic Penninsula, don't miss Dungeness (famous crabs) or Crescent Lake, and learn to pronounce Sekiu and Sequim!

Back