Push Notifications for iOS/Chrome/Android users/Progressive Web App (PWA)

splitimageview

coincidence rangefinder
Staff member
Local time
6:46 PM
Push Notifications have been enabled, which should work on Chrome and Android.

I've also installed some software that should enable push notifications for iPhone and iPad users (iOS devices; not MacOS.)

Feel free to test and report here.

This uses a feature that enables a website (RFF in this case) to look like an app on your mobile device - called a Progressive Web App.

IMG_5677.jpg

Follow these steps (iOS shown below as I don't use Android, although setup should be similar.)

1. on your device open rangefinderforum in Safari.
2. click on the share icon

IMG_5674.jpg

3. scroll until you see the option Add to Home Screen and select it

IMG_5675.PNG

4. open the just-installed RFF app
5. log in
6. go to your preferences: https://rangefinderforum.com/account/preferences

7. scroll down until you see the Enable Push Notifications button and click it

IMG_5672.jpg

8. scroll further and select the events of which you want to be notified

RFF will now appear as an app in Settings/Notifications on your device and standard iOS notification options can be adjusted there; will be similar in Android.

Here is what a notification looks like on my iPhone. Clicking on it will open the RFF app and go directly to the post:

IMG_5678.jpg

Note that you can use these icons in the navigation bar when using the app:

IMG_5676.jpg
also swipe left/right for back/forward will work in the iOS app.

Post here if you have any questions!

What is the benefit of push notifications?

I've enabled it a couple of times for my laptop/Win 10/Mozilla Firefox, but notice no difference.

Thanks.

- Murray

Not working for me too on Firefox on iOS after setting to allow.

1683450048328.png

1683449217791.png

Last edited:
What are Push Notifications?

Are they just for smart phones?

- Murray

Push notifications on this site are used to notify members when they have new conversations from other members, new replies to their posts, etc. Here are all the options for this site. As you can see, each possible push notification can be enabled/disabled, similarly with Alerts. Options are set here: https://rangefinderforum.com/account/preferences

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.47.25 AM.png

The difference between Alerts and Push:

Alerts are only visible if the member visits the site again and sees the notice next to the bell at the top of the browser window.

Push notifications, on the other hand, will alert the member even when they are away from the site.

Emails can do the same thing, of course. But then users have to actually check their email to see the notification, whereas Push Notifications are automatic.

Some members prefer not getting emails, so email notices can be disabled as well:

Screen Shot 2023-05-07 at 9.54.54 AM.png

They are an annoyance.

And of course for those members who don't want to be notified, whether that be via email, push, or alerts, all those features can be disabled.

I just turn off ALL notifications on my phone, the bloody things annoying enough without it constantly badgering me, I thought this crap was for 12 year olds.
There, I feel better now...

To each their own. I find it useful to be made aware of replies. For so long this site had email notifications that just didn’t work at all, I might not visit the site for days or even weeks and had no idea anyone had asked a question of me; now with the new software at least that’s been resolved.

However I prefer to not clutter up my inbox so prefer the push notifications.

The mobile device settings can be configured so notifications are minimally intrusive but still useful.

Is there a mobile app for RFf? I could not find one in the AppStore.

Read the setup steps earlier in this thread. The site is added to the Home Screen on iOS, it’s not downloaded from the App Store.

Android is similar.

Back