Putting Photoshop on a External HD_YES?

Ricko of Fla

Established
Local time
8:46 AM
I just received an 2 TB external and my computer HD is stating to fill up. And I was thinking about moving my Lightroom and Photoshop on to the external Hd. Has any:bang::rolleyes:one tried this and how does it work?
Thanks

It does not work. Well, not on Mac. Don't know about PC. Then again, I don't know your setup.

External Hard Drives

External Hard Drives

I know this is an old thread,but I thought my experience might be helpful to some one. Like you my HD kept getting filled up and I kept getting larger ones. Then my grandson managed to download a really bad virus.( He couldn't get something he wanted to download so he turned off my security.
After days of trying and finally calling in a technition, I ended up having to wipe my hard drive. By By almost a TB of info . The programs could be replaced,but not a lot of the info. I went the external HD route. I tried putting little used programs as well as my other stuff. Programs never ran well.I guess the USB slowed them down to much. My compromise that worked well for is to use the externals as huge backup disc. In photo shop I have tons of filters and masks and stuff. I use it to store all that stuff,as well as little used programs. If I want to use the program I just transfer it to my internal and when I'm through with it send it back . I use the external to store all my Pics. etc.

You'd do better to learn how to organize and control your files so you can delete all the bloat and junk you don't need. It's silly not to have your important applications on your principal hard drive.

You'd do better to learn how to organize and control your files so you can delete all the bloat and junk you don't need. It's silly not to have your important applications on your principal hard drive.

Indeed. You'd do much better to have the app on your main hard drive, and then put your data on an external drive with an ESATA or Firewire connection. For photos it matters somewhat less, but for audio or video work the difference is substantial.

Don't do it with an external USB drive. USB sucks.

Back