Putts thoughts on upcoming M8

Trius said:
I'm gonna have to see my cardiologist to see about meds to reduce my heart rate. With Four Thirds adapters, I can use OM glass, etc., as well as other 4/3s glass and new Leica glass. SCHWEEET! Yeah, I know you are saying this is "your guess", but it makes a lot of sense.
I have had a lot of fun using older lenses on the E-1. Digital is a good way to see if the old lenses are as good as you thought they were...:)
I am curious about the name S-class and semi-SLR term. I have read some speculation of a 4/3rds body that uses an EVF is supposedly in the works. This concept sounds fascinating, because it could give a bigger and brighter viewfinder, providing they use a state of the art EVF (OLED?).

jaapv said:
They'll use the horizontal prism, like Oly and Pana, mark my words...
The porro prism route is the most likely, a Pany L-1 with new sheet metal and grill. I think we'll see a few 4/3rds things at Photokina and maybe some strategic leaks to keep our interest peaked.....:D

The L-1 looks a lot more rangefinder-y than the E-3xx models. If the Live View technology is developed further to give a really good and faster EVF, then things could get interesting.

Bob: I have a few Zuiko 50s, 28s, 21/2 and 100/2.8. I'd love to exercise the 21 and 100 on an E-x. I've seen samples of the latter, and they looked quite nice.

Yes, the Zuiko 100mm f/2.8 is quite a surprise and it can be used at full aperture. I find focusing tele lenses easier than the wide angles on the 4/3rds focusing screen (E-1 at least).
What I haven't seen is any comment from owners of the E-330 on using manual lenses with Live View.

John Camp said:
The critical aspect of the M8 is its size and handiness. As I write this, I have a D2x on my desk along with an M7. The D2x (which is a great camera) is about twice as tall as the M7; iun fact, it is TALLER than the M7 is WIDE by, I would say (just eye-balling) about an inch. It's also wider by at least an inch, and, on the hand-grip portion of the D2x, thicker by an inch and a half -- it is more than twice as thick as the M7, and it weighs a ton. I keep an RRS backet on the D2x, and that makes it even wider and taller and heavier. The lens on the D2x, an 18-200 zoom, is, at its shortest length, almost as long as the M7 body, and when I heft it, the lens alone feels almost as heavy as an M7 with a 35 Summilux ASPH attached.

Good point.

Ergonomics. Size. Handling. Weight. Responsiveness. (And good imaging abilities.) All things that make the classic M-line Leicas interesting.

Speak about loudness and feeling of shutters sounds, I cannot understand why a digital RF camera needs a shutter at all while a viewfinder digicam don't need it. The sensor works electronically. You turn it on, you turn it off. What's the problem about it?

Sonnar2 said:
Speak about loudness and feeling of shutters sounds, I cannot understand why a digital RF camera needs a shutter at all while a viewfinder digicam don't need it

Sonnar2
The large sensors used in DSLRs are fundamentally different than the small ones used in point n' shoots. It has something to do with the way the pixel readout is sequencially read out. Maybe someone with a little more technical knowledge can fill us in. I think it also prevents live view even without a mirror in the way.

Rex

rvaubel said:
Sonnar2
The large sensors used in DSLRs are fundamentally different than the small ones used in point n' shoots. It has something to do with the way the pixel readout is sequencially read out. Maybe someone with a little more technical knowledge can fill us in. I think it also prevents live view even without a mirror in the way.

Rex
The Kodak KAF-FFT sensors are not set up for that, but the Sony sensor in Nikon's D70 does it and that is why it has a high flash sync. I suspect the electronic shutter would slow things down, as the sensor image has to be cleared before the actual image is recorded.

Back