Puzzled by the meter in my X-E1...

Mister_Jelly

Local time
7:21 AM
Wondering if anyone can help: using the X-E1 with the 38mm 1.8 olympus pen zuiko (with an adapter of course). Works well, except when I use an external meter. I have tried several that I know to be accurate: Weston master, lunasix, leucameter and minolta auto meter. Whenever I transfer the settings from the meter to the camera, the image is underexposed by two stops! My slides look fine though, using the same meters. What am I missing here?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn 5010D met Tapatalk

A few questions: Is the ISO consistent between meters and camera (or is the camera set to auto ISO)? Is the exposure comp set to -2ev accidentally? Is the Oly lens working properly?

A few questions: Is the ISO consistent between meters and camera (or is the camera set to auto ISO)? Is the exposure comp set to -2ev accidentally? Is the Oly lens working properly?
First of all: thank you for your answer. Yes, the ISO is consistent between meter and camera, both are set to 200 iso. The exposure comp is set on neutral, but even if it was set to - 2ev it shouldn't be a problem because I am in manual mode, ignoring my camera's built in meter, and transferring the settings from my hand held meter to my camera. Am I right? Looking at it ghat way: Maybe I gave this topic the wrong title.

The lens diaphragm opens up all the way, but it is a bit smaller than the adapter. Could it be blocking some of the light due to its smaller size?

Stick something other 1.8 in there and compare exposures with the same settings? Is the lens yellowed or dirty inside?

Stick something other 1.8 in there and compare exposures with the same settings? Is the lens yellowed or dirty inside?
Thanx for the suggestion! Tried that with my canon 50 mm 1.8, almost the same result : the image about 2-1.5 stops underexposed.

Still seriously puzzled...

Thanx for the suggestion! Tried that with my canon 50 mm 1.8, almost the same result : the image about 2-1.5 stops underexposed.

Still seriously puzzled...

I would suggest checking that your Dynamic Range setting is at 100% (=OFF), if only to avoid potential confusion.

I've seen discussions on 'fujix-forum' and 'fujixseries' on the subject of Fuji's ISO values. Some users say that Fuji ISOs are not "standard". I have no definite information on whether there's any truth in that, but I sometimes get the impression - when using my Fuji - that there just might be something in it.

That is a good point - not sure if the Fuji sensor is essentially ISO-less in any case and adjustments done in post, though you would think Fuji would adhere to "standard" exposure.

To the OP - I don't think the adaptor should make a difference. Ignoring the separate meter, do images look good at the camera's preferred exposure settings? Does the same exposure show when using say aperture priority mode?

I would suggest checking that your Dynamic Range setting is at 100% (=OFF), if only to avoid potential confusion.

I've seen discussions on 'fujix-forum' and 'fujixseries' on the subject of Fuji's ISO values. Some users say that Fuji ISOs are not "standard". I have no definite information on whether there's any truth in that, but I sometimes get the impression - when using my Fuji - that there just might be something in it.

What am I missing here?

Two stops is a lot.

There are many explanations for how different cameras can have different exposure parameters with the same scene. But the only ones I can think of is what tbhv55 and daveleo suggested.

... not sure if the Fuji sensor is essentially ISO-less in any case and adjustments done in post, though you would think Fuji would adhere to "standard" exposure.

The Xtrans I sensor is approximately ISO-less. There is about a 1/2 stop improvement in shadow-region signal-to-noise ratio between ISO 200 and 800. By contrast the D-7000 has hardly any dependence on shadow-region SNR improvement vs. ISO for this range. Above ISO 1600 the XE-1 is almost ISO-less.

The X-Pro 1 sensor has similar (if not identical) properties.

The issue of ISO and standard exposure is murky. Without discussing the details, it is clear the X-Series cameras have about an 1/2 to 2/3 stop difference in meter-determined exposure compared to other Japanese brands. This alone can not account for the OP's issue.

do images look good at the camera's preferred exposure settings?

+1 Put everything to auto and compare the photo exif data to your hand metered readings.. and how does the auto result look?

As well I have found that with the x100t there can be discrepancies with the reported ISO in the exif data when calculated manually based on other exif data.

You might also try resetting all parameters as the layered menus can be tricky ; )

First of all, thanx for all the replies! Much appreciated.

Well, my DR is at 100. Maybe the ISO on the Fuji is not standard. Bit of a funny thing though, since I.S.O. means International Standardization Organisation :)

That is a good point - not sure if the Fuji sensor is essentially ISO-less in any case and adjustments done in post, though you would think Fuji would adhere to "standard" exposure.

To the OP - I don't think the adaptor should make a difference. Ignoring the separate meter, do images look good at the camera's preferred exposure settings? Does the same exposure show when using say aperture priority mode?

Nope, everything is fine when 'shooting without lens' on Aperture priority mode

Two stops is a lot.

There are many explanations for how different cameras can have different exposure parameters with the same scene. But the only ones I can think of is what tbhv55 and daveleo suggested.

OK, I understand the ISO possibility. but how can the metering mode be a factor when I am technically not using the in-camera meter? I am using a hand held meter. Or actually, several meters, all known to be accurate.

Is that the only lens that has the problem?

Nope, same with the 50mm 1.8 Canon rangefinder lens

The Xtrans I sensor is approximately ISO-less. There is about a 1/2 stop improvement in shadow-region signal-to-noise ratio between ISO 200 and 800. By contrast the D-7000 has hardly any dependence on shadow-region SNR improvement vs. ISO for this range. Above ISO 1600 the XE-1 is almost ISO-less.

The X-Pro 1 sensor has similar (if not identical) properties.

The issue of ISO and standard exposure is murky. Without discussing the details, it is clear the X-Series cameras have about an 1/2 to 2/3 stop difference in meter-determined exposure compared to other Japanese brands. This alone can not account for the OP's issue.

I only understood the last part :eek: (sorry, film shooter, digital newbie)

+1 Put everything to auto and compare the photo exif data to your hand metered readings.. and how does the auto result look?

As well I have found that with the x100t there can be discrepancies with the reported ISO in the exif data when calculated manually based on other exif data.

You might also try resetting all parameters as the layered menus can be tricky ; )

auto mode is fine. I will try resetting everything. If it doesn't work, and the ISO thing is the problem, well shame on Fuji... Kind of limits the use for these camera's, doesn't it? I mean, hand held meters are stil the way to go for a lot of applications...

But I just can't believe it to be true! Why would they?

Still seriously puzzled...:confused:

Does the image on your *computer* screen look 2 stops down, or is the camera exposure bar telling you its 2 stops down?
The camera exposure bar has 3 methods for reporting exposure.

I use my XE-1 in aperture priority with native lenses. I regularly add 1 stop exposure compensation to get the exposure I prefer. I assume it's a quirk of the camera, but I'm a bit of a digital Luddite. Anyway, it works for my purposes.

Cheers

J :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the ISO on the Fuji is not standard. Bit of a funny thing though, since I.S.O. means International Standardization Organisation :)

I agree - I'd have thought they would be required to operate to the Standard, in order to use the ISO rating.
However, if you looked at the sites I mentioned, you will have seen that there are plenty of people discussing the possibility that this is not the case. IDK.:confused:

Back