Query: How do I edit my old posts?

Local time
4:26 AM
I see that this was an issue in 2021. Has it been resolved? I saw that I made an error in a post I put up yesterday. When I had just posted, there was an "Edit Post" button below the text. But a day later, it is gone, and there is no obvious way to go back an make a correction or edit a typo. Any hints, tricks, tips, or just plain instructions for the codgers amongst us who remember the old days?

You only have about 1-hour to make edits. Not sure if there is a forum administrator function to extend it.

One option is to quote your old post in a new post, then reference corrections in that new post.

Last edited:
Yes there is a time limit.

Use the report button to summon a mod, and detail what you want edited.

:)

Unlimited editing is the ideal but there are those that would abuse it, editing posts after the fact to change their argument.

It’s set to 12 hours

Hmm. Well, I find that hard to believe, but I guess folks can argue about anything. I don't think I have ever been in an argument on RFF so heated that I would engage in that sort of behavior. I appreciate all that the staff here does, but I'd argue for just letting folks edit what they write. The words are "mine" according to the terms of service, are they not? In my case, I noticed a typo. I'd just as soon fix it, but it isn't important enough to bother anyone else with it.

I've created a new user tier that gives unlimited editing. let me know if you can't edit the post in question.

How does one know if they are in this tier? Or do we request? I have found an annoying number of typos in old posts - I often compose hurriedly while waiting for other things to happen.

Hmm. Well, I find that hard to believe, but I guess folks can argue about anything. I don't think I have ever been in an argument on RFF so heated that I would engage in that sort of behavior. I appreciate all that the staff here does, but I'd argue for just letting folks edit what they write. The words are "mine" according to the terms of service, are they not? In my case, I noticed a typo. I'd just as soon fix it, but it isn't important enough to bother anyone else with it.
It happen(ed) all the time.

And when I have edited my posts for clarity, I have been hassled on- and off-list by persons who accused me of changing my argument. Amusing.

Last edited:
You could copy your post.

Then re-post.

Make your corrections.

Then delete your original post.

Just a thought.

Or ask a moderator to make your changes.

Just post a follow-up to clarify your original post. Problem solved!

I like the solution implemented better, Joe. It gives the user/member more control over his or her content. Many thanks to the support staff on this one.

Back