Question about Minolta CLE repair options

gzisis69

Established
Local time
12:00 AM
Hi there, id like to know what are the repair options of the minolta cle. I am thinking of getting one to use with 28mm lens but the prices are almost like the leica m2. Giving the fact that its an old electronic camera, can anyone repair if something goes wrong or if it dies thats it ?

I've posted about this elsewhere before, but I had a great experience sending my CLE to Scott Nielsen of Nielsen Photographic Services last year! It was in rough shape, was missing parts, and the electronics were only working sporadically, and it came back looking and working just like new. He's a former tech for Minolta USA and has a good supply of parts as well.

It's almost ironic that the CLE seems more repairable than the original Leitz/Minolta CL (mechanics can be fixed but very few will touch the meter) and even newer CV Bessas. (CQ doesn't offer repairs anymore, and few techs seem willing to work on them) Obviously that's only the case for this current moment in time, so getting one fixed up now for the long term is probably a good idea! The CLE is a great camera, and maybe the most fun I've had shooting an RF in years.

I've posted about this elsewhere before, but I had a great experience sending my CLE to Scott Nielsen of Nielsen Photographic Services last year! It was in rough shape, was missing parts, and the electronics were only working sporadically, and it came back looking and working just like new. He's a former tech for Minolta USA and has a good supply of parts as well.

It's almost ironic that the CLE seems more repairable than the original Leitz/Minolta CL (mechanics can be fixed but very few will touch the meter) and even newer CV Bessas. (CQ doesn't offer repairs anymore, and few techs seem willing to work on them) Obviously that's only the case for this current moment in time, so getting one fixed up now for the long term is probably a good idea! The CLE is a great camera, and maybe the most fun I've had shooting an RF in years.
DAG has parts and does repair the CL. Last year he replaced the meter cell on a 50th anniversary CL for me. The big upside of the CL is that even without a working meter, you have a functional camera....

A friend of mine has a 28 Rokkor without spots, he may be interested in selling it.

Or there is the new Voigtlander 28/2.8 which is of course much more modern...

I paid $600 for my CLE last year, from keh. Be patient and you can find a deal.

logoSmall.jpg

642 Hi Tech Parkway, Suite A
Oakdale, California 95361
209-543-1989, photogger at sbcglobal.net

I’d be curious about reliability between the CLE and the newer Voigtlander Bessa AE cameras (R3A). The CLE is 40 years old at this point and still seems to be going strong.

I have had several over the last 15 years or so, the only issue was oxidation under the shutter speed dial, easy to rectify.

I have a CLE pared with a Voigtlander 40mm Heliar (f2.8), and it's great. I find the CV-40 is excellent for sharpness and contrast. It's my go-to street combination. When I got the CLE from Japan two years ago, the viewfinder was pretty dirty. There's a fellow on the internet (Justin Low), who has a small one-page website on how to clean inside the CLE viewfinder. I followed his guide and the viewfinder dust is now long gone. I can't speak to other CLE concerns as I haven't had any additional problems with mine..

..Avery

Back