Question about the Q2

andrew00

Established
Local time
7:33 PM
Hey,

I've been comparing the Q2 (ideal) and the Ricoh GR III (more likely) and I think in most situations the GR3 will be fine for me. I'd love a viewfinder but the Q2 is naturally much more expensive.

Where I do think the Q2, from what I've seen, seems to really shine is wide open with that f1.7 lens.

There's something about some images I've seen like that that seems really intriguing. I feel like if I got a Q2 I'd put it wide open most the time.

Can anyone with the camera let me know your experiences wide open. Do you feel, from your shots, that there's magic here?

The GR3, with it's APS-C sensor and f2.8 lens is going to be, what, f4 equivalent for the Q2?

I think the GR3 is a wicked camera but I'm really considering the Q2 for it's general advantages (viewfinder, resolution etc) but mostly for that wide open lens.

Can anyone speak to that please, thanks!

I`m a GR3 user that sometimes contemplates a Q. Of course the 1.7 lens on a FF camera will allow for shallower depth of field, but at 28mm...I`ve found the greater the depth of field the better for this FOV. It is something to think about. When I want shallower depth of field, a different focal length is generally better for me. I would say if 28mm is your favorite focal length, then the Q2 is a smart buy. If not, go for the GR3.

Have you considered the original Q? If the lens and viewfinder are big deals to you, the Q has the same lens and a perfectly good viewfinder at a much lower price. You miss out on the sensor resolution and a handful of other features like weather-sealing and 4K video you wouldn't get with the GRIII anyway. These cameras also handle quite differently, you've probably thought about this but just mentioning it. I don't have a Q or Q2, but I'm currently considering both of them depending on my budget. I will probably go with the original and use the remaining money for something else.

GR3 is not as useful as the previous model (GR2) as there is no flash. But then neither does the Q have a flash. Very different cameras. I've got the GR3 and have messed about with the original Q. The Q2 is a much, much bigger file.

Andrew, I used a Q2 for about 8 months now. I cannot speak to the GR3, but I can tell you the experience is very different than using an M-series camera. The images are superb (yes, the files are big), and there is a digital crop in camera that will give you 35/50/75 frame lines . Even at 35mm crop, you are still at 30 mp. Best of call, the camera is weather-sealed, and I was shooting in a snowstorm with no issues. If you are in the NYC area, I'll be happy to let you try it out for yourself.

Well I dove in and got a Q2. Wide open the lens is fantastic. Stopped down, fantastic. Hands down a simpler camera in my hands. I shot with nothing but the GR3 for ten days in January, and still had many instances where the toggle on the rear that controls exposure compensation was shifted just from the camera bumping on my not overly amply belly despite my trying to be aware of that fault in the design.

This past week I shot the Q2 very extensively, and can’t find anything to gripe about other than the lack of native square cropping (like in the GR series and the X1D). The hand grip was a good addition, as the exposure compensation wheel is easier to adjust with it in my hands.

Weight and size are certainly different, but the ease of use with the Q is easily worth the size/weight.

From Eugene OR last week:

Q2 | PS B&W conversion | f1.7

Q2 | Camera Raw/PS

Q2 | Camera Raw/PS

East of Sisters OR:

Q2 | Camera Raw/PS (taken from a moving car)

Yay photos !
really LOVE the last photo Bob
Beautiful in Colour,Compisition, Nature/Life... Exquisite

the maestro sensor and the 28 Lux make for Magic !

I shot with the GR3 exclusively for most of the past year. The camera basically fused into my hand. Its primary strength lies in its ultra mobility - almost 1/3 the weight of the Q2 - and quick handling - I switch from "hyperfocal f/8 &1.5 meter splash mode at ISO400 JPEG" to "indoor night vision mode with Program and ISO6400 RAW" with one click of the mode dial. That I couldn't do with any of the Fujis, with which would require a lot of pushing and turning. The lack of flash didn't bother me since I use flash a lot and have to rely on an external albeit small one for the additional power anyway.

Personally speaking I don't believe there's any magic in cameras. It's just ergonomics, optics and performance, upon which I found the GR3 suit my need best. It's a switchblade. The Q2 would certainly win if you'd like to savor the experience and take photos that are finer, slower and more deliberate. The resolution is insane.

Back