Question for forum iPad users

Then the forum software is making the initial letter of my username upper case every time I login unless I manually make it lower case. Which is a bit of a pain, along with the apparently essential "remember me" verification: does anyone else with a username that starts with a lower case letter have to jump through this hoop on an iPad? When I login to RFF on a desktop PC the auto-capital change does not happen. Also, I login to RFF on the iPad directly from Safari, not a generic forum reading app. BTW, I just navigated to RFF on my iPhone via Safari, tried to login and the first letter of my username defaulted to upper case on the phone - this never happens on my PC. IIRC, the old forum software did not do this, but don't think I had an iPad at that point.

I have been on this forum for a long time, and this issue is clearly not something that is going to prevent me from logging on in order to view some linked photos I want to see. But I'd think the management would want to iron out even minor things that might discourage someone from logging in.

I am using an iPhone running iOS 16.2

Try: Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization

set Auto-Capitalization to Off

Then the forum software is making the initial letter of my username upper case every time I login unless I manually make it lower case. ...

If you have "Auto Capitalization" set to enabled in Settings > General > Keyboards, then Safari will assume that the first letter in the login username field of the login box should be capitalized. Just turn that feature off in the settings and you'll no longer have that problem.

G

... Ah, I see Dervia mentioned this two hours ago, but that post was not there when I started typing ten minutes ago. Thank you, vBulletin! sigh.

Thank you, Derval and Godfrey. The Auto-Capitalization setting was the cause of the unwanted upper case issue. The problem disappeared when I disabled that feature. However, so did the Auto-Capitalization for names and addresses when adding new Contacts. Given the loss of convenience in that I decided to keep the setting and to continue to remember to turn off the setting "locally' when signing in to the forum. Overall, these really are classic First World problems.

I just set up a brand new iPad with M1 chip. I don't seem to have an issue , yet, with the site. However, if something comes up I will notify. Not really an Apple user and have superficial knowledge of iPad functions. Phone is Android and desktop Windows 11

Back