Question on coma with the 35/1.4 nokton sc

That is one scenario I would want to be stopping down to at least f2 for with this lens. As far as I can discern without actually owning one, coma is really bad if just outside of the plane of focus wide open. At f2 it's similar to any other 35.

Can any other nokton owners comment?

I think coma with this lens is pronounced everywhere at f/1.4, in focus and out of focus. Here is a photo at f/1.4, where the focal point was the letters (i.e., roughly speaking same distance as the lights).

5357415149_5b46d6824a_b.jpg
[/url]Scan-110104-0043 by skoush[/IMG]

I think coma with this lens is pronounced everywhere at f/1.4, in focus and out of focus. Here is a photo at f/1.4, where the focal point was the letters (i.e., roughly speaking same distance as the lights).

I think the problem is that the plane of focus curves a lot. So when the middle is in focus, the corners aren't. I could be wrong, but it pretty much means yes that light source points will be blurred and weird at f1.4.

I only shoot it at 1.4 and 5.6-16. No coma visible at 5.6 and above and sometimes it's minimal at 1.4 depending on how close the lights are to you and the edge of the frame, and the type of of light. My old pre-asph summilux would have the weirdest swirly bokeh if it was used inside if about 15 feet wide open, and in low light it was so bad that lights would be long and curved and anyone center frame was unrecognizable. This lens is so much better wide open.

I do miss that summilux in daylight though. I think it was sharper than the asph cron I used to have and it preserved highlights (the asph cron flattened it). The nokton isn't as sharp closed down.

I'll have to try it between f2 and f4.

Back