Quick Navigating the Threads at RFF -- I am sick and tired of……

Einstein

Established
Local time
6:57 PM
…….having to go to the latest posts by going down to the bottom of the FIRST PAGES, then click the LAST PAGE and then scroll down to get the latest post. I am wearing down not only my fingers but the iPad screen as well.
Anyone else sick of this time consuming wasting pain ??????

ADMIN

The RFF you see may vary slightly with OS, browsers, and RFF skins.

Try different combinations of the above that are available to you.

Skin DARK2 has defects and does NOT show all the options available. Switch to DARK.

Choose skins at the bottom LEFT of your screen, just below NAVIGATION and HOME.

So, a couple tips. This is how I see RFF (I always use my phone, since I don’t sit at home using a PC):

Click image for larger version  Name:	145906F2-7632-45BA-B885-CDAC8EDFC934.jpg Views:	0 Size:	200.2 KB ID:	4789850

You’ll notice your thread is in light blue - that’s because I already read it. Let’s look at the DAG thread, which I’ve not read yet, so it’s in dark blue. Right at the start you’ll see two downarrows- click that and it’ll take you to the first post you’ve not yet read in that thread. Clicking on the two rightarrows takes you to the very last post.

Also, at the top of your screen, you may see a number in red - then if you click Messages, Go To Message Center, Notification Preview, you’ll see a list of threads you posted in that have followups. Just click the thread name and it’ll take you to the first unread post. THAT is actually the most efficient way of browsing threads you’ve posted in. For a while the feature was broken but seems ok now.

Also, at the top of your screen, you may see a number in red - then if you click Messages, Go To Message Center, Notification Preview, you’ll see a list of threads you posted in that have followups. Just click the thread name and it’ll take you to the first unread post. THAT is actually the most efficient way of browsing threads you’ve posted in. For a while the feature was broken but seems ok now.

Just to add to this, if you *want* to receive notifications whenever there is a new post in a thread (it only happens automatically if you actually started the thread), click the ‘Subscribe’ button that can be found when you open the thread.

Attachments

• photo116291.jpg
    photo116291.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
Just to add to this, if you *want* to receive notifications whenever there is a new post in a thread (it only happens automatically if you actually started the thread), click the ‘Subscribe’ button that can be found when you open the thread.
Actually, I think there’s a general settings option which allows automatic subscription to any thread one has posted in. I get notifications for many threads that I’ve never created, yet I’ve not had to explicitly subscribe. This thread is a good example.

Remember, it is true photography forum, not a junk food a la Insta. Consume it via large screen.

I understand - - but it’s not possible. I don’t browse the internet at work or at home. I read RFF when I’m at restaurants, coffee shops, places like that.

Not one of the aforementioned special navigation marks appear anywhere on *my* (android) screen. No "double arrows," no symbols in red, nada.

Marc

The navigation aids should be platform independent. Anyway, in order to see them with the listed threads, I first have to search for “Today’s Posts”.

So from the initial screen:

F6F66120-12C3-4216-B791-7A6B877574EB.jpg

I click on the on the “3-bar” icon at the upper left to get this:

4A50B4C7-989C-4CFF-B0A3-2405DF481D78.jpg

then click on “Today’s Posts” to see the list of threads and the navigation aids.

The little arrows work great, but there seems to be a little problem. On my iPad if a clumsy finger misses the arrows and opens the thread you can’t back up and try again. The arrows are gone and it’s back to a lot of tapping to navigate a long thread. Some other sites seem to offer a “go to first unread” button in the header as well as the arrows.
What I’ve been doing with the iPad is just zoom in until the arrows are bigger with left and top of page cropped off.

It would be nice if the home page list of new posts could show which forum they are in. Sometimes the titles don’t give any clue.

Am enjoying the new setup and hopefully will be more active when able.

Glenn

User Settings/Account/Conversation Detail Options/Display mode/Latest Activity

The only problem with this is that it swaps the whole thread to run backwards (i.e. latest at the top, oldest at the bottom), which can make following a conversation a bit of a pain in the ass. On desktop I favour keeping the layout/functionality the same, and use CMD + Down (I'm not sure what the Windows equivalent is) to go straight to the bottom of the page and click on the last page number.

It would be nice if the home page list of new posts could show which forum they are in. Sometimes the titles don’t give any clue.

This is actually a great idea. CameraQuest, I second this one.

Back