R-D1s issue? or just a bad ltm adapter/my own ineptitude?

PeterYoung

Local time
4:28 AM
I just picked up a used R-D1s in good condition for a pretty reasonable price, but after playing around with it for the last few days have come across a few issues relating to the focusing and rangefinder alignment and was just wondering if anyone had any advice...

This is my first m-mount body having only used a Canon 7 as my rangefinder in the past and therefore I only own screw mount lenses. I bought an adapter online (and this could be where the problem lies) and once the lenses are mounted to the camera, they are twisted about 40 degrees off from their regular axis, so the focus scale does not align to its usual position as it would when they are mounted to the Canon 7. - shown in the attached image
7636630_orig.jpg

With my CV 35mm 2.5 color skopar, the rangefinder only seems to couple down to about 90cm, meaning that between 90cm and 70cm on the focus scale, there is no movement of the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder. This does not seem right, as surely the rangefinder of the R-D1 should be coupled down to 70cm (and is if I remove the lens from the mount).

The focus of all of my lenses also seems to fall short of what I'm trying to hit, and before I mess around and realign the rangefinder, I'd like some opinions on the potential causes. I'm not easily able to try out some m-mount lenses on the body to check whether it's an adapter issue, but is the rotation of the lenses from the normal axis normal on an ltm to m-mount adapter?

Any help or advice would be great!

Many thanks

Peter

Simply use the screws on the adapter to rotate the 39mm stainless ring where you want it. Loosen the ring after screwing in a lens, rotate it where you want , re-tighten the screws. Some adapters have straight slotted screws, some require an very small Allen wrench. I had to do it for every LTM adapter I have (eight). Nothing mysterious, this is a simple necessary procedure.

the rotation is common, specially if you bought cheap adapter.

as for calibration, it is preferable to test with "properly calibrated lens" first.
get 50mm f2 or faster, use wider apperture, try to shoot short distance and far distance object. hopefully there are friends you can borrow to, or local shop where you can test a lens. get the M-mount one avoiding issue with adapter.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately JRminox there are no screws on the adapter to fiddle with as it is a single milled piece of metal, so I can't sort out the rotation of the lens that way.

I also tried my canon 50mm f1.4 ltm lens on the camera and had the same focussing issues, so it could just be a misalignment of the rangefinder. All of my lenses work perfectly on my Canon 7, so I have no reason to believe that my lenses are not "properly calibrated", it's just a matter I guess of trying a native M mount lens to see if it's an adapter issue or just a RF alignment issue.

My biggest concern was the seemingly uncoupled close focussing of my 35 f2.5

Thanks again

Peter

I don't know about the RF alignment issue, but I'd suggest testing with a known good actual M-mount lens (thus eliminating the adapter as a source of error). I'd also strongly suggest ordering one or more CV LTM-M adapters from the head bartender: I have a number of them and all have worked very well on my film and digital M-mount bodies (Hexar RF, M3, M240) and have the lenses oriented correctly when mounted. Just watch the Type-I vs Type-II issue if your lenses have infinity locks (for the record, mine are all Type-I as the Type-II ones weren't available when I bought mine).

...Mike

Thanks Mike
I just noticed after taking a closer look that the problem regarding the close focus coupling of my color skopar is entirely due to the lens adapter. As a result of the off axis rotation of the lens, the cut-out for the rangefinder cam to sit in doesn't match up with the cut-out on the coupling ring of the voigtlander lens. So I will definitely need to get hold of a new adapter to solve that Issue.

Once I've ordered one from a more reputable source, I should then hopefully be able to solve my other issues.

My Canon 50mm f1.4 has an infinity lock, so which adapter should I avoid?

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Peter

Back