Rangefinders and glasses.....an awkward love affair?

I was visiting Marty Forscher's establishment in Manhattan so he could give my new M3 (recently handed down to me by my uncle who'd bought it in Germany in 1960) a lookover. After demonstrating the "L" seal to his acolytes, he asked me if my eyeglasses were being scratched by the eyepiece. When I said Yes, he then attached an "O"-ring he had handy to the eyepiece, and said, "There! Now you won't sctratch your glasses anymore." A fond memory.

From the M10 on, the live view and the electronic external finder have been the salvation of manual focusing for me. You can even adapt tele zooms and all sort of fun lenses and be able to focus them pretty easily. When I got my first Leica I tried contact lenses and was surprised to find that the distance Rx was the one to use, not a near one. Seems looking in a mirror has that effect. I used the distance contact in my right eye and the near in my left to be able to read settings and to chimp. worked pretty well.

Last edited:
I just made a couple of correcting eyecups using cheap generic camera-show eyecups and cheap plastic lenses which come close to my prescription.

eyecup3-41266105680-o-m.jpg
Sorry to dredge-up a very old thread - but I'd like to know more details about how you did this?

Back