Rapidwinder question

jfujita

Established
Local time
6:35 AM
Hi, I just purchased a rapidwinder and I've noticed that the bottom of the unit is not perfectly flat.

The baseplate-locking latch extends past the floor of the rapidwinder and causes the unit to wobble when placed upon a flat surface.

The retracted trigger also prevents the rapidwinder from sitting flat (To a much lesser degree than the lock).

When attached to an M body the distance that the top of the body travels due to the wobble is about 1/2 an inch. This isnt very comforting esp. with a rather weighty lens attached to the body.

Is this normal with rapidwinders?

Thanks in advance,
-Justin

Justin, it is completely normal and I actually designed to do just that. If it was perfectly "flat", the base of the winder would pick up scratches and scuff" marks. By extending the locking "key" sightly and also having the lever slightly below the level of the base, these two items now are the "feet". The locking key is the same material as the housing, but as only the narrow grip sits below the surface, it is much less likely to scuff or mar. The stainless steel lever is virtually impossible to scratch as it is a very hard stainless.
My experience with M's is that I prefer them to rest on the base and the lens, slightly tilted down as it prevents it from tipping over and also provides a small amount of security from having the sun striking the front element and burning holes in your shutter!
Tom

Back