rapidwinder testimonial

tajart

ancien
Local time
10:21 PM
In a small, south of the border town, in front of a camera shop where one could find used Leica and other desirable items, I first met Tom Abrahamsson. The year, well the shop isn’t there any longer, but Tom had a rapidwinder on one of his Leicas, so I think it must have been 1989. I recall that he had just picked up a vintage Leica enlarger and seeing that we had something in common we became friends. I remember Tom showing me his camera and rapidwinder, saying, “go ahead, give it a try, take a couple shots.” I seem to recall he was running Tri-X, what else?
I was intrigued and a little clumsy, but Tom said, “take a couple more.” After a couple of rapid winds I was hooked. It wasn’t until a few years later that I was able to have rapidwinders for my M2 and M6. Sure, they add a minimum of weight and bulk, and I don’t use them all the time, but when I do use them, all I can say is, what a pleasure it is to add something of quality to a legendary camera. It is a great way to get film through a camera.
Tom Johnston
Olympia, Washington

Tom, nice story. I have never dealt with Tom Abrahamsson but his wife turned out to be a very pleasant sales representative. I sent them a check to purchase my soft-release buttons two years ago, and she handled the correspondence. I believe he was traveling so she took care of the gear sales, but I don't doubt he's a very nice, congenial man.

As for the rapidwinder... I had a chance at using one. Very well made, but not useful enough for me. Why? I tend to defocus the lens every time I pull the rapidwinder trigger. If that weren't the case, I might keep it, even though I never had the need to shoot that fast.

Thanks for posting! :)

oh yes, those soft releases are great too. i love the extra advantage they give when shooting slow speeds. silver, black, and colors on various cameras are a fun way to code film to camera, or at least act as a reminder...
glad you enjoyed the post.
tomj

Back