Raw file conversion for the x pro 1

nickw

Established
Local time
3:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I was about to go buy an X pro 1 tomorrow, and I'm doing the typical last minute mental floundering (trying to decide I should wait & save longer for an m9).

Long story short. I was thinking about processing the raw files.
I'm an aperture 3 user (not going to switch to lightroom).

And I was wondering how long I'll have to shoot Raw+JPG for before I can process the raws. Then it struck me, is the non standard pixel layout of the fuji sensor - made that way to avoid moire - going to cause an issue with 3rd party raw software? Wonder if they will be able to correct for it? Will that cause any problems?

Thoughts?
Nick.

Hi Guys,

I was about to go buy an X pro 1 tomorrow, and I'm doing the typical last minute mental floundering (trying to decide I should wait & save longer for an m9).

Long story short. I was thinking about processing the raw files.
I'm an aperture 3 user (not going to switch to lightroom).

And I was wondering how long I'll have to shoot Raw+JPG for before I can process the raws. Then it struck me, is the non standard pixel layout of the fuji sensor - made that way to avoid moire - going to cause an issue with 3rd party raw software? Wonder if they will be able to correct for it? Will that cause any problems?

To be honest, with Apple we never know. They just release an update for Digital Camera RAW support for the D800 days after releasing the previous that included a bunch of camera. One can think we might get one for the 5DMkIII, either alone or with other. The X10 still isn't supported for example.

And I don't think the pixel layout of the X-Pro1 shouldn't cause much problem for the "demosaic".... unless they wrote it like I wrote mine.

Being a long time Aperture user I can sure recall when Apple was very slow with RAW updates.
This has changed and they have become much more responsive. The D800 update being a good example.
I'm sure it won't be long for the 5Diii or the XP1 to have been updated to the list for Apple.
I'm hoping for a full blown Aperture update soon (A4?). It's time that Aperture had a decent built in noise reduction offering to match the LR3/4 noise reduction filter or even better.

Is converting to a TIFF or DNG in Silkypix an option? Folks could just batch convert to a known standard and then use these as their "digital negatives" -- at least this is what I assume the digerati will be doing with X1 Pro output rather than adopting Silkypix as their RAW converter of choice.

The jpgs coming out of this camera are so good I'm not in a big rush to shoot RAW anymore. I've always used LR.

Is converting to a TIFF or DNG in Silkypix an option? Folks could just batch convert to a known standard and then use these as their "digital negatives" -- at least this is what I assume the digerati will be doing with X1 Pro output rather than adopting Silkypix as their RAW converter of choice.

Converting to a TIFF from RAW is lossy, because you do the conversion to RGB.
From RAF (RAW file from the X-Pro1) to DNG, sure but which tool does that? Adobe doesn't support it yet. They are working on it:
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/raw-support-in-lightroom-and-camera-raw.html

I think either people will have to suffer Silkypix of just go with the JPEG. I chose RAW+JPEG. Aperture deal with them properly (ie I use the JPEG as master).

Silkypix sucks. That's all there is to it. I've noticed that the jpegs from the X10, X100 and X-Pro 1 are uniformly excellent. And a lot of people say that the raw files of the X10 and X100 take a lot of work to look anything like the jpegs, so if you like the jpegs from those cameras then raw might not matter as much. Having used Lightroom for the X10 for a while, I now find that I prefer the camera's jpeg output. The colours are just much nicer and more natural with jpegs.

My preference is to shoot the X10 in jpeg and the X100 in raw. The X10 jpegs are definitely pleasing enough for me to use jpeg as the default mode, although the X100 does benefit from WB correction and other things that are more tricky with jpeg. Seeing the X-Pro 1 jpegs makes me think that I could shoot mostly jpeg and still be happy at least 80% of the time.

I'm shooting raw + jpg.
Once the raw processing come out for A3, I'll switch to the raw files and then lift and stamp the adjustments over (then I can kill the jpg's after).

N.

Me too. I rarely have any keepers anyway. :bang:

Me too. But that's getting better.
Wasn't it HCB who said "Your first 10000 pictures are your worst".

I feel like with digital, that number could easily be higher (say 25,000?). That often there are more wasted shots simply because it's free (so the temptation is to just take more of the same). When I shot film I tended to slow down, think more, and take less shots.

Thus by the time you reached 10,000 shots (on film) you're probably pretty dialed. Not just knowledge wise (iso, dof, shutter speeds and effect, etc..), but also composition, and knowing when to take the picture.

I started shooting in my teen years and I'm 30 now. I many ways I feel like it was only last few years that I've finally gotten serious and actively started pursuing photography. That now I'm starting to learn from my mistakes, missed photos or opportunities, and by looking at my results.
I've started to slow down again, think more, and ta-da, my photos have started to improve.

So on HCB's scale of 10,000 I feel like I'm halfway there.

I'm shooting raw + jpg.
Once the raw processing come out for A3, I'll switch to the raw files and then lift and stamp the adjustments over (then I can kill the jpg's after).

N.

All you should need is to set the master to use RAW when support is available. Adjustments will still be there, albeit I'm not sure how consistent they will be given that the JPEG might not render the same as with Aperture from the RAW file.

Back