Recommend a 50mm below 1000$

Bille

Well-known
Local time
8:02 AM
I lost track of all the lenses released in the last couple years.

Is there a consensus on what is a really good affordable 50mm lens for Leica M (new or used)?

Was thinking to get a Planar 50/2 ZM but there may be better options from Voigtländer or the new Chinese brands.

Voigtlander 50mm Nokton 1.5 II if you want something fast, small and great. Voigtlander 50mm APO Lanthar f2 if you want something perfect. 50mm Nokton 1.2 ASPH if you want pure speed. You cannot go wrong with any of these and they are new.

I second the Planar. It’s sharp with great contrast but not harsh. The images have beautiful tonality.

Not sure why people refer to it as a modern lens. It’s multi coated but thePlanar formula has been around for a long time.

I have a Canon 50/1.4 in LTM and with the adapter to M it is an amazingly sharp lens if that's what you want. Usually half of what your limit is.

All mentioned above are either older (Canon is 7 decades on and haze + fungus-prone) or focus-shifty (Canon ƒ/1.4, Zeiss Sonar), the Leica Elmar M excepted.
Agree with rockit-man about the CV lenses. Additionally, MS Optics just released a 50/3.5 that is about $1000. Tiny and reportedly very sharp.

Thanks, a lot of good suggestions in here.

Sonnar 50 ... I had one years ago and found it somewhat dull at 1.5. Maybe it was my copy back then or I did something wrong. Could be an option.

Nokton 50 or Asph ... above budget.

Elmar-M ... sweet but like anything Leica pricy now. Maybe when there is a good deal somewhere.

Jupiter-3 ... no experience with it, dont feel connected to Russian optics (is this a Contax copy?)

Canon 50/1.4 in LTM ... well within the budget but potential headaches with used gear

MS Optics ... really like what he does but a 3.5 lens for around 1000$, not for me

Voigtlander 50mm Nokton 1.5 II if you want something fast, small and great. Voigtlander 50mm APO Lanthar f2 if you want something perfect. 50mm Nokton 1.2 ASPH if you want pure speed. You cannot go wrong with any of these and they are new.

Voigtländer Color-Skopar 50mm f/2.5 for a modern Classic look, and a very compact lens. When I bought mine in 2011, it was $600 or less. And I see they sell used on EBay for around that same amount now.

G

There's only one choice: Voigtlander 50mm APO Lanthar f/2
It generally can be had used for around $750, but there's one on Steve Gandy's site right now for $594 (a great deal).

Yes, that is a good option Godfrey. If he comfortable with used (which he seems hesitant about for some reason) and ordering from Japan likely.

I have had very good luck with a '57 KMZ Jupiter 8: https://flic.kr/p/2nDeEgT These are uneven in quality so careful shopping with return privileges is important. Safer is the Canon 1.8 which has a special rendering of color and detail. I have the Canon 1.4 and prefer the 1.8 for that little extra "magic." Just outside of your $1,000 range is the Cook Amotal. Mine was $1,300 and worth every cent. Here is a pic: https://flic.kr/p/2nJBxT1 The Canon 1.8: https://flic.kr/p/2n4znut

These have all been good lenses for me.

There's only one choice: Voigtlander 50mm APO Lanthar f/2
It generally can be had used for around $750, but there's one on Steve Gandy's site right now for $594 (a great deal).

I'm very keen to try those! From what I can tell, Apo Lanthars are the highest-performing lenses offered by one of the top lens makers.

Back