Recommend a CFExpress Card Reader?

Local time
12:55 AM
Who's your go-to? I just chased down a file corruption issue to the one I have been using, which I bought off Amazon based on the price (?>?) with the brand name "Yeemie Pro." Well you get what you pay for. So what do you like RFF? Recommend what works for you.

I download all my digital photo files directly from the camera to the computer. This on the advice of my long-term camera repair man who told me a long time ago that removing cards from and then reinserting cards in the camera, creates a high risk of damaging the cards.

I'm also not so good at reinserting cards in my Nikons. I've damaged one camera by bending the internal pins in the card slot, which cost me AUD $200+ to have replaced. So for me, never ever again.

If ever buy a card reader, being a Nikon person I will probably go with that brand. I believe one is available, but it isn't cheap.

I download all my digital photo files directly from the camera to the computer. This on the advice of my long-term camera repair man who told me a long time ago that removing cards from and then reinserting cards in the camera, creates a high risk of damaging the cards.

I'm also not so good at reinserting cards in my Nikons. I've damaged one camera by bending the internal pins in the card slot, which cost me AUD $200+ to have replaced. So for me, never ever again.

If ever buy a card reader, being a Nikon person I will probably go with that brand. I believe one is available, but it isn't cheap.
This is interesting. Thank you.

Compact Flash pins in the camera were a little delicate and could bend if the card wasn't installed properly. Later forms of memory moved away from exposed pins like that, CFExpress doesn't have them.

Using USB trades one potential failure for another. I've had several devices where the USB port goes bad. Typically they are SMT and not mounted securely so over time the little wiggle breaks the solder connection on one or more of the connections between the port and the circuit board.

Another failure points is in the mounting of memory cards. My Pentax Q stopped locking SD cards into the slot so the spring would always eject them. I purchased a GFX 50R that had the same problem and was returned.

There are no devices which cannot fail. Period. ;)

SD cards, with their sliding contacts, are much more robust than the multi-pin type connectors in CF cards, with far fewer failures from simple extraction and re-insertion. I haven't had any experience with the CFExpress type cards as yet. But, as always, it pays to use good quality card readers. I use a SanDisk CF/SD card reader at present and it worked flawlessly for some years now. I imagine a SanDisk or Lexar CFExpress card reader would be of similar quality.

Using a USB plug-in cable to download image files from camera to computer works fine ... but the mini-USB connectors in most cameras are just as fragile as CF card reader connections. A wireless solution to downloading files also works fine ... modulo the fact that now you have to have applications that know how to navigate to the camera's file system and pilot data to the computer's file system. And that can be fragile too, depending on who implemented the system and how well it has been tested through all the various configurations and operating system upgrades, et cetera.

Again: There are no devices which cannot fail. Period.
But you should never let that stop you from making use of whatever you can in order to do what you want to do. :D

G

Back