Recommend budget B&W Film to replace LegacyPro 400?

Emraphoto, that looks pretty good. Nice and punchy. How did you dev it?

I will have to review my notes and sadly I am a long ways away from them at the moment.

I know Trius has mucked about with it (Kentmere) as well and perhaps he will chime in, although with the tone this thread has developed and knowing his lack of interest in such tones you may have to PM him.

Knowing my complete dedication to the KISS theory I suspect D-76 and the massive development chart will be damn close to what I was doing.

I am easy to please. A solid emulsion after fix and reasonably tight grain and I am off to the races. As mentioned, careful wash and dry can cure any curl.

Tri-x... Good enough for Towell, good enough for me.

There are no films out there in common usage that are not capable of a wide variety of spectacular results. Its just a question of applying yourself and gaining knowledge before making absolute statements. I have shot loads of different films and been bloody thrilled with the results from many of them. Whatever works... Sometimes one decides quite quickly that a film is not likely to naturally give you what you want, but even then if one had to it would be possible to make it work much better.

Try them. Nothing beats blasting through a bunch of different films and playing around. Give time to it, or expect to keep letting yourself down.

I've been using mostly Tri-X for all ISO 400-1600 stuff and I am happy with it. Still I have a bulk roll of Legacy Pro in the fridge though, which I bought after hearing that the film will be discontinued. Too bad I haven't stocked up on Neopan400 in 120, that in unique film in its class IMO.
That Kentmere stuff looks interesting, isn't is the same emulsion as FP4+/HP5+? I remember reading that manufacturer recommends same development times as Ilford. It is available in Austria, and well priced.

No, Kentmere 100/400 is not FP4+/HP5+. Simon Galley from Ilford has repeatedly stated that on APUG.

That doesn't mean they don't look indistinguishable :) I haven't tried the Kentmere films, so I don't know, but again, some people on APUG do say they had different visible characteristics, with the Kentmere films being a bit older in feel (grainier, etc.).

No, Kentmere 100/400 is not FP4+/HP5+. Simon Galley from Ilford has repeatedly stated that on APUG.

That doesn't mean they don't look indistinguishable :) I haven't tried the Kentmere films, so I don't know, but again, some people on APUG do say they had different visible characteristics, with the Kentmere films being a bit older in feel (grainier, etc.).

I just checked the price of 100ft of Kentmere 400 at Freestyle ... it's ten dollars cheaper than Arista Premium! :eek:

I may just get a roll next time I buy something from Freestyle.

If you like Neopan, I would look at Ilford Delta 100 and 400. At least you can buy them in bulk rolls. As for pushing to 800 and higher, I prefer HP5+ over Tri-X.

Last edited:
Back