Benelux Remember Overloon (NL) May 8th 2011

Mr_Flibble

In Tabulas Argenteas Refero
Local time
8:35 PM
Even though the battle at Overloon was the biggest tank battle on Dutch soil during WW2, it was mainly overshadowed by the impressive airborne landings during operation Market-Garden in September 1944.
Very few even remember that it was just the American GIs and tankers of the 7th Armored who were fighting in this area during the first week of this battle.

On Sunday, the 8th of May, the ACES have organized an unique event that allows visitors to learn more about this historical engagement with presentations and living history displays manned by re-enactors depicting GIs and German Wehrmacht soldiers along a stretch of a 5km walk through the area. Visitors will have a chance to visit a US Army motor pool, Head quarters, Field Kitchen, Aid Station, communication center and the front lines.
There will be a chance to see both sides in action as well.
WW2 Army vehicles will carry you back to the starting point.

The tours will start at 10am and the event ends around 3pm

Preserving History Website

I myself will be acting as adjutant and driver to an LT in the recon group. And hopefully I'll be able snap some pictures too. If you see someone with a Leica, come and say hi.

Admittance is free; Parking is available at the bungalow park at SCHAARTVEN 1 in OVERLOON for 3 Euro.

Back