Restored Domke F2

Local time
12:07 AM
If you're an American of a certain age... who was active in the 80s, you noticed that many photojournalists used Domke camera bags (and better off commercial photographers used Tenba because they had more padding for Hasselblad).

Well I found a vintage bag and did a little repair work and updating. I usually use a backpack but this should get some use this Summer. For at least one trip I'll leave the Nikon at home and go solely LTM, unless I succumb to a Z50 first.

Washing machined the new old bag. Trimmed and fixed loose threads, seared frayed seams, pulled all the hair out of the Velcro. Bought the older PortaBrace Strap on eBay and new hardware from Strapworks. New Domke insert (just as overpriced and poorly sewn as ever!) and a couple hits of Skotchguard.

Feels like a welcome friend slapping my butt while I walk!

U73045I1587867645.SEQ.0.jpg

U73045I1587867646.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U73045I1587867647.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U73045I1587867648.SEQ.3.jpg

*When I go around the remains of Kodak, Wollensak, Hawkeye, etc. I take this variation to my kit:

med_U73045I1587867650.SEQ.4.jpg

Not shown is a pretty good trauma and first aid kit in the top and side, plus a Cat tourniquet.

I still shoot with an F2 purchased in the late 1970'S from Jim Domke himself. Have several other models but the F2 holds the most.

Haha the PortaBrace camera bags are the antithesis of anything you could shoot out of without setting it down and building a set. They are well built and I have several for my lighting kit but really impractical for still cameras even though they make specific models for DSLRs.

I did break down and buy one of those Black Label or whatever they're called narrow Japanese camera man-purse type things and it will hold two LTM bodies and film quite nicely but hardly unique.

Haha the PortaBrace camera bags are the antithesis of anything you could shoot out of without setting it down and building a set. They are well built and I have several for my lighting kit but really impractical for still cameras even though they make specific models for DSLRs.

I said they made bags for photographers. I didn't say they were a good choice! :p:p:p:p

I would not buy one for the reasons you stated. They're designed for transporting gear to be used in studio situations or for commercial photography. For the kind of work I do,where I need to be able to work out of the bag while it is on my shoulder, they would not work well at all.

I have a sand F2 since 1993 , worn out a bit. Bought a new black one some years ago and I could have traded it in that time for 60 $ but I didn't, traveled a year with it in SE Asia. It is the only bag that I really like and I also have the accessory straps to use it as a backpack.

I bought one a few years ago and it fell apart really quick ! I don't think they are nearly as well made as the old ones.

It is sad to hear that. I've got three; one may be the bag my friend bought out of the trunk of Jim Domke's car at a NPPA convention in Philadelphia in the late 70's. I was just shooting Leica at the time, and probably too broke to buy one anyway, so didn't get one of my own until later. Other than the gripper straps loosing their grip over time it is hard to imagine these wearing out. The inserts are certainly not awe inspiring though.

Maybe this is the way to go. I resurrected an old Brady bag a few years ago by having my local leather worker put a new bottom on it.

I bought one a few years ago and it fell apart really quick ! I don't think they are nearly as well made as the old ones.

I've bought a bunch of Domke bags over the last 20 years. I haven't noticed any decrease in quality.
Perhaps you bought a knockoff? Unfortunately they are out there.

The Domke F-2 is a great large camera bag. My largest Domke is the smaller F-6, of which I have several.

Chris

I'd like to see some hybrid combinations of the F2 and F6. I'd like an F2 with an optional F6 style front zipper pocket. And I'd like an F6 with F2 style side pockets.

Domke, are you listening?

Nice work Frank. Those old Domkes are great. Like Filson , they just don't wear out. I gave away a couple of F2 and F3x bags and kept a couple of the messenger bags and the smaller size (like the messenger) that holds a Leica or two. The older they get, the better.

Back