Retina Fondler

JoeV

Thin Air, Bright Sun
Local time
7:02 AM
Folks;

Just a quick hello to say that I've recently acquired a mint-condition Retina IIIc, complete with leather carrying case and metal chain strap. The little beauty feels and operates like a swiss watch. It was owned by a neighbor of mine who recently passed away; he was a camera repairman, and this was in his collection.

The selenium meter cell is a bit off, but I have a handheld Gossen Luna Pro F meter, plus the 'sunny 16' rule, as a backup. The camera works fine otherwise, and I've been inspired to begin shooting with it more regularly.

Let's see a picture of your Retina - and some images from it!

~Joe

Attachments

• Jan 28,2007 002a.jpg
    Jan 28,2007 002a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
368957021_ec904a60b3_o.jpg

Here is mine. Just your stardard Retina with a acc. rangefinder.

Just a little Retina IIa love....
I inherited this from my Father-In-Law...so my wife gets too nervous when I take it out to shoot. "You'll drop it!"

Attachments

• retina1.jpg
    retina1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • retina2.jpg
    retina2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • retina3.jpg
    retina3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
got mine

got mine

Decided to upgrade to an avatar on RFF, so used a thumbnail of this shot. And there's a lovely II (014 series) with my name on it in the mail somewhere between Seattle and Illinois, I'll post a shot of that after I get it and test it out. [EDIT: Actually, it's a 011 series that's on the way, I didn't realize there was a postwar version before the 014. We'll see if it works. - 02/16]

Attachments

• Retina_IIa.jpg
    Retina_IIa.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i am looking into the 11cs and the 111cs myself. was shown one in ny at a respected repair shop. but i have been trying to find a cheap one. probably not a great idea.

can someone clarify for me the differences between the two models? i believe the iic needs an external viewfinder for the wide angle and the tele lenses, whereas the iiic does not. is this true?

i have been drooling over these cameras for almost three months now. i love the idea of having one of these little gems tucked away incognito and then whipping it out for exciting opportunties. plus the idea of tiny little lenses is appealing. especially after some of the huge lenses i was forced to use in the (gasp) digital world.

if anyone comes across a great deal on one in good condition, or has some advice for me on what to look for in my selection, i would appreciate it.

retina C lenses

retina C lenses

dragonx said:
can someone clarify for me the differences between the two models? i believe the iic needs an external viewfinder for the wide angle and the tele lenses, whereas the iiic does not. is this true?

I'm babysitting my dad's retina IIIc lenses while he has just the camera on a trip, so I snapped some shots for you. First off, you need the accessory viewfinder with the IIc and the IIIc (not sure if the later "big C" got multiple framelines or not, but the "little c" doesn't). I've put a picture of the viewfinder here, it switches between 35 and 80 and you transfer the focus distance from the dial on back to the focus ring.

Not sure if you're referring to the tiny little 50mm lenses, but for the other lenses, only the 35mm is tiny. The 80mm is a monster. I've put pictures of both next to my IIa for comparison. As for the 50mm, it's pretty sweet. Very crisp feel folding and unfolding these cameras.

Last I saw, Chris Sherlock in NZ had a IIc completely CLAd at a good price. See Retinas and Retinettes for sale at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/index.html

Attachments

• DSCF3155.jpg
    DSCF3155.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3156.jpg
    DSCF3156.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF3157.jpg
    DSCF3157.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0
bob cole said:
At the risk of offending some Retina expert -- not Cameraquest -- there's a big difference between the Retina IIIc and the Retina IIIC...

http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3c.htm
someone else had remarked to me about the "front element" versus lens issue. i tend toward wider lenses. in fact, i can be quite ridiculous about this. even 35mm cramps me sometimes. so for me, the issue of a potentially crappy wide angle lens/element is important.
what is the opinion of those who already own these cameras?

as stated on cameraquest: "It makes for a more compact camera. It also makes for some optical compromises and some ridiculously LARGE SLOW wide and tele lenses"

and my next question-how much drama can i expect finding those lens/element sets? do numbers on those need to match up? should i hold out until i see an entire perfect set?

the store owner was indeed pushing me to get the Big C, but i have been thinking maybe i could be content not getting the most collectable retina.

the idea of a dark rangefinder spot worries me as well. i'm a bit on the blind side.

i am enjoying the enlightenment already. thanks for the article. i had come across it early in my research and then forgotten.

bkrystad said:
I'm babysitting my dad's retina IIIc lenses while he has just the camera on a trip, so I snapped some shots for you. First off, you need the accessory viewfinder with the IIc and the IIIc (not sure if the later "big C" got multiple framelines or not, but the "little c" doesn't). I've put a picture of the viewfinder here, it switches between 35 and 80 and you transfer the focus distance from the dial on back to the focus ring.

Not sure if you're referring to the tiny little 50mm lenses, but for the other lenses, only the 35mm is tiny. The 80mm is a monster. I've put pictures of both next to my IIa for comparison. As for the 50mm, it's pretty sweet. Very crisp feel folding and unfolding these cameras.

Last I saw, Chris Sherlock in NZ had a IIc completely CLAd at a good price. See Retinas and Retinettes for sale at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7ESrawhiti/index.html

fantastic. thank you for taking the time to do that. the 80 is quite a monster, and if i remember correctly the camera only folds closed with its main lens attached, yes? that viewfinder is adorable (i get such a thrill out of vintage cameras) i must say.

i had been pouring over chris's site last week, but had not considered buying one from him since he is so far away. my last international purchase was a disaster. i had been thinking of writing to him to get his opinion. he seems approachable. has anyone on this board purchased from him, and specifically had their gear shipped to the US?

dragonx said:
i had been pouring over chris's site last week, but had not considered buying one from him since he is so far away. my last international purchase was a disaster. i had been thinking of writing to him to get his opinion. he seems approachable. has anyone on this board purchased from him, and specifically had their gear shipped to the US?

Guess I could have mentioned this earlier, but I've been working with Chris this winter. He CLAd my Dad's IIIc in January and he has my early II right now. I'm more than pleased with his work, and the shipping between Seattle and NZ is about 6-7 uneventful days each way. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him, even if it's just for a detailed question about a particular make of Retina. He's very helpful.

after (more thoroughly) reading the link bob cole posted above-
the 35mm lens for these retinas is an f4? i'm traumatized now. i had not even thought to check that. i had dreams of stealthy wide angle hand holds.

bkrystad-
how much does a cla run? and is there some form of insurance on the shipping? i am "wounded" after a really nasty ebay incident with a yashica electro ebay seller (anyone who is considering buying one from one of the ebay sellers who specialize in them should pm me first to hear what happened. it is a seller who "screwed" someone else on this forum as well.)
i don't mind waiting 7 days, i do mind never getting the gear ever.

the iiis looks nice, but i was more interested in the folders.

i think looking at adorama might be a good idea. looking for a great deal on ebay has not been going so well.

Back