Retina IIa

oscroft

Mentor
Local time
9:00 AM
At the weekend I saw a Retina IIa in the flesh for the first time, and I'd never realised how small and neat they are (they always seem to look quite big in photos). It's a thing of beauty, and I think I might want one. Does anyone here use one regularly? What do you think of it?

I have recently taken delivery of one, but have not had it out in the wild yet. It is a nice camera, gets a lot of fondling. I will fix that shortly.

I've had one for a few years. The lack of room for the fingers of my right hand is annoying. As is the need to select 1/500 before advancing the film. The focusing knob isn't well-placed. Some people complain about the small, 'squinty' viewfinder. I don't mind it. The lens is really good. It's an easy camera to carry around.

The lens on mine is very good.
It's a heavy little thing, but it folds up so small that it's very pocketable. Of course, adding a pocket meter adds to the load...but sunny 16 comes to the rescue.

55955606.jpg

56421502.jpg

Here's a few snaps from my IIa, Fuji Colour neg 400, cheap drug store scans:

Attachments

• 03350001 copy.jpg
    03350001 copy.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 03350007 copy.jpg
    03350007 copy.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy.jpg
    Copy.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
dazedgonebye said:
The lens on mine is very good.
It's a heavy little thing, but it folds up so small that it's very pocketable. Of course, adding a pocket meter adds to the load...but sunny 16 comes to the rescue.

55955606.jpg

56421502.jpg

Love that desert shot. Must be a great camera to take on a hike.

I've shot 9 rolls with mine in the last two months and have really gotten used to handling it (I hold most of the weight under the lens bracket in my left hand and just pinch the shutter release and bottom with my right). I wear contacts so the small finder works fine for me. I love the results in both B&W and color. I find the camera easy to manage and even easier to carry around. A lot of fun.

I can only say that I assume any Retina off ePray is going to need a CLA to get any satisfaction out of it (they are generally heavily used cameras before they're put away), so anything more than US$50 is pushing it. A camera below that and in good cosmetic shape can usually be set right for US$100-$150 total (price+CLA), which is probably the limit for a IIa. Not sure if the IIc would go for more, but the III's definitely demand a premium.

Well, I just got a IIa on eBay UK for £32, with a Heligon f2, original case and instructions (in German), and a yellow filter. I'll show it off (and some shots with it) when it arrives. Thanks for all the info and photos folks.

Back