Retina IIIs, some questions.

marcuspajp

Local time
7:31 AM
Hello, this is my first post in this forum.

I recieved a surprise yesterday when the in-laws were cleaning out their basement, knowing that I am a photography nut they came up with an old looking bag wondering if they shoud throw it out or if i wanted it. It turns out that this bag contained a Retina IIIs, a Retina Reflex III, two Retina-Ysarex 50/2,8 (one with feet and one with meters), a Curtagon 28/4 and a Tele-Xenar 135/4. Of course I didnt let them throw that out!

The cameras seem in very fine shape for probably beeing stored for several decades, the shutters even seem operable at everything but the slowest speeds. But im going to try to get a CLA done anyway, do you know of anyone in Sweden or the EU that would touch these?

Otherwise the meter of both still registers, no idea if they are anywhere near accurate, and all the string and pullys seem to work smoothly.

The IIIs is the one that im mostly interested in acually using, as I dont have a rangefinder 35mm system ( I have a Koni-Omega and a Minolta Hi-Matic)

The only problem (besides the shutter) that it seems to have is that the automatic framelines dont seem to work, it displays what I think is the 135mm frameline all the time. Since the 28 doesnt have a frameline and I can estimate a 50mm pretty good this wont stop me from using the camera, but I cant seem to find what it is on the lens that tells the camera what frameline to display, does it have to to with the focusing cam? All my lenses have those.

I found a manual for the Reflex online, but ive yet to come up with one for the IIIs, does anyone here have one?

Thanks
Marcus Karlsson

Markus, welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of helpful people here and good discussions.

I don't find a IIIS manual online but I did find this information on the lenses, which are interchangeable with the Reflex: http://butkus.org/chinon/kodak/reflex_s/lens_adaptor/kodak_auxilary_lens.htm

Stephen Gandy's cameraquest.com site has an excellent discussion of this camera, including showing how the Kodak lenses may fit the camera but do not couple with the rangefinder -- I wonder if maybe you don't have the right lenses for rangefinder shooting (and which might also cause the framelines to not appear; I don't know).

This is a fine camera and well worth fixing. However, I know these are cameras that many repairers avoid, because they can be difficult to fix. There are several places in the U.S. that work on them, should you not have any luck with finding E.U. repairers.

Thanks for the replys.

The lenses are made for rangefinder use, im pretty shure of that. They all focus well with the rangefinder, and they have the brass ring that pushes a pin on the body depending on focus.

I tried the meter today, and surprisingly they both are very accurate outdoors, giving the same exposure as my DSLR. Is there anything I can do to help the meter last longer? Keep the cameras in the dark while not in use maybe? Ive never had a seleneum meter before.

Ill check if any of my local shops will CLA them, or else I may have to send it somewhere.

Yes, keeping the selenium meters in the dark will help, I think, but I believe the main concern is of oxidation of the selenium element and thus a less effective electrical contact. Keeping the camera in a cool, dark, dry place is probably the best thing.

H Marcus,
It is well worth to ask the regional shops for repair, sometimes a few drops of lighter fluid are enough. It seems that the small lever that controls the framelines is stuck.
Another importanbt thing if you want to change the aperture use the small protruding wheel at the bottom of the camera as the aperture conrol is linked to the lightmeter with a string that mightb tear apart if a littele bit too much force is applied.
I'll try to post some pics of my IIIS to show you the connector for the framelines...
A great camera you have! A 28mm is also a great lens...just saw one yeterday for a reasonable price in a shop here in Vienna

Spider67: It would be great if you could post a pic of the mount pointing out where the lever is! :)

I really like this camera, especially the Hasselblad style DoF scales. It has a very nice general feel to it. I even like the EVS system! And the pretty leather cases.

If you look at the lenses rear the difference is what actuates the view finder selector. I'd not use force, if you are lucky the selector will be stuck at the mount and a wipe with a cotton bud or q tip soaked in Zippo fluid (gas or petrol), may unglue the wax grease residue, try repeated gentle applications.

Otherwise you need a specailist Kodak Retina person...

Noel

I found now after many hours of staring at the lenses that the milling around the cam was at a slightly different hight. And it pushes another pin thats around the focusing pin, i pushed this pin and could get all the framelines in the finder. I must have pushed something back in place becouse now the automatic framelines work!

Thanks all!

I have ordered some 35mm film as I dont have any on hand since I hardly ever use it. When it comes I will test the camera properly to se if the spacing and such works.

Gratifying when you can solve a problem yourself, isn't it?? Have fun with it -- remember to be very conservative with the selenium meter as it's prone to underexpose if you point it too much toward the sky.

I think the Ysarex is relatively rare, so I'll be interested to hear your impressions of it. Optically, the lenses (at least the Schneider ones, which are the most common) are excellent.

marcuspajp said:
I found now after many hours of staring at the lenses that the milling around the cam was at a slightly different hight. And it pushes another pin thats around the focusing pin, i pushed this pin and could get all the framelines in the finder. I must have pushed something back in place becouse now the automatic framelines work!

Thanks all!

I have ordered some 35mm film as I dont have any on hand since I hardly ever use it. When it comes I will test the camera properly to se if the spacing and such works.

The brass tube around the pin is actually control the frame line. It's connected to the pin and other part by friction. Be sure you don't put oil on it.

The lenses can be used with both cameras. The Retina IIIS is an underrated rangefinder. It's a bit heavy, but the quality of construction is very high.

Definitely get it serviced. Great camera. Great lenses. You won't be disappointed.

I Have both cameras you have and the same lenses ,plus a 35mm lens. They are very good lenses , and the camera is quite good as well. I will warn you that there is a long string linkage between the dials and the lens and if you force anything and the string breaks its a bear to get replaced.

Last edited:
Back