Retina Tele-Xenar 135mm F/4 Filter Thread

Hcompton79

Established
Local time
4:27 PM
I'm looking for a lens hood that will work for the 135mm Retina Tele-Xenar F/4 lens for my Retina IIIS however I'm unable to locate what kind would have originally been used with it.

It is threaded, and it appears to be a 58mm filter thread. However, the manual refers to it as a 60mm thread.

For those of you who have this lens, either for the IIIS or the Reflex S/III/IV, will it take a standard 58mm lens hood?

I should add this is the bell shaped silver early version of this lens which has the rangefinder cam, not the later straight black bodied version for the Instamatic reflex.

The answer is simple, 60mm would be the size of a push-on filter, 58mm is the size of a screw-in filter. Why Kodak followed this practice, I have no idea. Likewise, the filters for most of the Retina standard lenses were labelled 30, but the thread is 29.5mm. Regards, Chris

Although I am inclined to agree with Chris' answer above there is a trick you can use if indeed you ever do come across something that has a 60mm screw thread - that is to buy a stepping ring. For example, with a little online hunting you should find it possible to get a 60mm to 62mm step up ring which will allow you to use a 62mm screw hood on the lens. On the other hand, I recently was given a 60mm hood (not sure what it was for) and I managed to find a 58mm to 60mm step up ring which allows me to mount the hood on a lens with a 58mm screw thread. I do this kind of thing a lot. A while back I found some very nice (and cheap) little 43mm hoods from China and decided that given their shape these would be ideal for mounting on a variety of different LTM and Leica M lenses which unfortunately have different diameters. So I bought a variety of stepping rings that matched the lenses' needs: 39-43mm (for most Leica lenses) ; 40-43mm (for Canon lenses); 40.5-43mm (for German lenses); 41-43mm (for Leica Summarit Lens) etc. Works fine.

Although I am inclined to agree with Chris' answer above there is a trick you can use if indeed you ever do come across something that has a 60mm screw thread - that is to buy a stepping ring. For example, with a little online hunting you should find it possible to get a 60mm to 62mm step up ring which will allow you to use a 62mm screw hood on the lens. On the other hand, I recently was given a 60mm hood (not sure what it was for) and I managed to find a 58mm to 60mm step up ring which allows me to mount the hood on a lens with a 58mm screw thread. I do this kind of thing a lot. A while back I found some very nice (and cheap) little 43mm hoods from China and decided that given their shape these would be ideal for mounting on a variety of different LTM and Leica M lenses which unfortunately have different diameters. So I bought a variety of stepping rings that matched the lenses' needs: 39-43mm (for most Leica lenses) ; 40-43mm (for Canon lenses); 40.5-43mm (for German lenses); 41-43mm (for Leica Summarit Lens) etc. Works fine.
Peter
Do you leave the stepping rings permanently on the lenses and have standardized lens cap sizes also?

Bill

Peter
Do you leave the stepping rings permanently on the lenses and have standardized lens cap sizes also?

Bill
Mostly the hoods/rings get left on the lenses together for most of the time. If I take the hood off, the ring generally goes with it unless I plan to use the hood on a differently sized lens in which case I will need a different ring. That's my practice anyway, but I can't see why someone could not decide to do otherwise. BTW I should have added that I suggested using a 60-62mm stepping ring because 62mm is a far more common filter size than 60mm and hence 62mm diameter hood is likely to be also. I used 43mm for my little scheme described above as it was of large enough diameter to use with a variety of lenses and it just so happened that I found a 43mm hood style I liked. (43mm was also a reasonably standard diameter filter ring size back in the day so I was also able to use it on one or two such lenses - the Nikon 105mm rangefinder and 135mm rangefinder lenses for example)

Back