Returning (maybe) after Long Hiatus

There questions:
1. Can anyone direct me to a place that rents Leica M film bodies in the NY area? Google search didn’t return any hits.
2. How can I get M-quality images using my Nikon FM, what lenses should I be looking at?
3. Assuming I re-commit to the M line, where should I be looking for good quality but fair prices? I know a number of places in NY I would Not go unless I want to overpay. I think I purchased a 50 mm from Tamarkin back when they were in CT, Prices look high there.

I started photography in mid 80’s and still have my original Nikon FM and a box of Nikkors. Then digital came and they got put aside. About 10 years ago bought a used M6TTL and Canadian ’Cron to switch things up a bit. Loved that camera and it made some of my finest images but developing and scanning got to be a drag. I also found the RF focusing not exactly precise compared to AF and my iphone! Sold the M6 almost immediate regretted it.

I recently picked up the FM again and rediscovered the love of doing things methodically, not spray and pray And the look of film. The camera is fine but the images don’t quite match the 3-D character of that 35mm Summicron. I have two choices I think: (a) get hold of another M body, either 7 or MP, or (b) find glass for the FM that offers the same or similar characteristics as the Leica glass. I think the FM is a more capable camera but the glass doesn’t have the same personality. The closest I’ve found is a Zeiss 50 that I had on a Canon DSLR. Best case would be able to rent for a couple of days to re-evaluate the M before plopping down $$$$

Thanks in advance.
- I don't know any places that rent film cameras any more, other than large format gear. I don't live near NY area, but around here where there used to be six or seven places I could rent Nikon, Canon, Leica, and Olympus film gear from, only one survives and all they rent up to medium format is digital.

- Nikon film gear is excellent right out of the box, but pitting SLR lenses against Leica M lenses nearly always shows some difference. I used both side-by-side from 1970 to 2002, and used a lot of different lenses (Nikkors mostly, but some Zeiss and others too) on the Nikons, and even had Contax SLR cameras with Zeiss lenses for a time, and the end reason I kept shooting with both was that the Leica M gear just has that additional nuance I like. Leica R lenses can be adapted to F mount, and many Leica R lenses produce that extra nuance just like their M lens cousins, but if you really want that "Leica M look", well, the solution is obvious.

- I have done business with Tamarkin for decades. Stan when they were in NY/CT, Dan now that they're in Chicago. New and used gear, always fairly priced, and always the best support/service I've seen. I have no reservations about recommending Tamarkin for anything Leica. I won't say they're the cheapest, but they're the best.

G

I've been doing more research. The future looks dim for getting the M6 repaired if it ever comes to that. And I don't have the patience to wait months for a repair or CLA. What about something like a Bessa RF paired with Leica glass?

I keep coming back to RF because as I've been out shooting with the FM, the one thing that "pesters" me when walking around is the flop of the larger lenses, compared to what I remember from the M6 and 35 Cron: it's a handful. Went to the local farmers' market today with the FM and 85/1.8 and it was definitely not compact. First world problem I know.

On a side note, I made the comment earlier that I've never needed a repair person for my other camera and ....well, I should have kept my mouth shut. While I was shooting I noticed black flecks in the viewfinder. The little strips of foam/material surrounding the focusing screen are disintegrating onto the screen and mirror. I guess I shouldn't complain after nearly 40 years.

I've had no problems getting Leica Ms serviced. Don't know about the M6 specifically ... it's been a while since I had an M6 ...but then there is the new M6 as an option there. There are a lot of places that do Leica service; I don't know who does service on the modern Voigtländer Bessa cameras. Any camera can need service, regardless of make, and camera service is almost always a three week to two month affair.

If you have flecks of foam in the Nikon FM viewfinder, it's past due for a complete cleaning, lubrication, etc. And new damper foam for the mirror. Myself, I prefer to have technicians with the training, tools, and experience do these sorts of things; I am not a camera technician.

G

- I don't know any places that rent film cameras any more, other than large format gear. I don't live near NY area, but around here where there used to be six or seven places I could rent Nikon, Canon, Leica, and Olympus film gear from, only one survives and all they rent up to medium format is digital.

- Nikon film gear is excellent right out of the box, but pitting SLR lenses against Leica M lenses nearly always shows some difference. I used both side-by-side from 1970 to 2002, and used a lot of different lenses (Nikkors mostly, but some Zeiss and others too) on the Nikons, and even had Contax SLR cameras with Zeiss lenses for a time, and the end reason I kept shooting with both was that the Leica M gear just has that additional nuance I like. Leica R lenses can be adapted to F mount, and many Leica R lenses produce that extra nuance just like their M lens cousins, but if you really want that "Leica M look", well, the solution is obvious.

- I have done business with Tamarkin for decades. Stan when they were in NY/CT, Dan now that they're in Chicago. New and used gear, always fairly priced, and always the best support/service I've seen. I have no reservations about recommending Tamarkin for anything Leica. I won't say they're the cheapest, but they're the best.

G
Thank you. I’m seeing a few non- metered Ms for sale at reasonable prices, much less than an M6. I’d rather save $$ on the body and get a nicer lens than what I had 10 years ago.

Thank you. I’m seeing a few non- metered Ms for sale at reasonable prices, much less than an M6. I’d rather save $$ on the body and get a nicer lens than what I had 10 years ago.
M6 prices are crazy right now. My film M is an M4-2 that I bought a decade ago .. they're higher now too, but I paid $720 for this one and it's doing me very well. M4-P are also a very nice body at typically reasonable prices.

Back