RF aesthetic - picture of the year...

"Using the phone is discreet and casual and unintimidating. ...

...The image of the men resting together on a rusted bed frame could never have been made with my regular camera. They would have scattered the moment I raised my 5D with a big 24-70 lens attached. But with the phone, the men were very comfortable. They always laughed when they saw me shooting with it while professional cameras hung from my shoulders
."

Sounds familiar! Is the camera phone the new RF?? :p

/

I don't care how that picture was taken, but how it has won third place in any photography competition is beyond me.

Maybe I'm no good judge of PJ pictures but if someone else can elaborate I'd be glad to read it.

He does good work. And, his rebuttal is sound.
It is sad to see "amateur fetishists" with their sloppy logic and lazy reactionary conflation of content and aesthetic seeping into the ranks of so-called professional critics, but I suppose it always has been the case.
The photographs have depth, pose questions, and obviously elicit reactions on several levels.
Mr. Winter is to be congratulated.

As to why he won, perhaps it is important to remember that photography didn't begin with Daguerre or Niepce, it started with something thousands of years earlier - the first glimpse in a reflecting pool perhaps, where someone was struck with the desire to reproduce something that they saw. The rules about what constituted valid formalism came later. Much, much, later, and at the hands of those who sought to codify what had already been produced.

It may help to look at it as a picture rather than a photograph.

Flowery inflated fluff does not make for a persuasive argument. Maybe if you cut the nonsense about amateurs having no right to critique "Pros" and offer a reasonable assessment of the picture, some of that godly "pro wisdom" might trickle down to us, the unwashed masses.

That picture is boring, detached and too green. Secondly, its claim to fame is because its a phone photo, thats all.

I like the photographs and I have zero issues with what was used to produce them ... the intimacy shown would be hard to capture with much more than a phone camera IMO.

Hipstamatic is the ultimate "Digital vs Film" application. Make your Digital IPhone images look like Analog. The photographer did not use a rangefinder camera, film or digital, for the image.

Hmmm... I clicked the link and saw the grunt's pictures. Nothing special.:(

Then I went to the First Place photo and I have seen better images with almost every image ever posted on RFF using every kind of camera imaginable. IMO, there was nothing to the photograph.:(

This is why I detest these kinds of threads. Sorry I wasted my time on this particular one.:angel:

Back