RF Filter Question

Allan

Local time
5:45 PM
I am a newbie to RF.

I got a question. I know it isn't easy to use filters on RF as you
won't be able to see the effect of the filters after you mount them on.
This is especially significant if you use Polarizer.

i would like to know if there are any special designed filter, e.g.
Polarizer that would serve RF? If so, are there any specific brand
name?

By the way, I own a Bessa R2.

Thanks and best to you all RFers.

Bronica (medium format RF) had a gizmo with two synchronized polarizers, one on the lens, the other on the VF, so you could tell when you had reached the highest polarization.

That's with the Bronica RF... only.

For other, more modest cameras, you see through the filter, turn it to the high polarization point, use the triangle mark as reference (or the brand name or any other mark on the circular frame) and try to adjust it that way when you put the PL on the camera lens.

Another way... turn the polarizer at the same time you look through the viewfinder and pay attention to your meter. The moment the meter shows change (underexposure indicator comes up), you have your polarized view.

Someone mentioned once a gizmo for Leicas, but I haven't found or seen it. Actually, instead of a polarizer, I just bought a ND filter for my Leica. The general effect is the same, though I cannot increase saturation of the sky or eliminate reflections... :( but I can live with that! :)

Thanks for info. It really helps.
So ND filter can be a simple alternative.

Can the ND filter be mounted 24/7? Or should it be applied only under bright sunlight etc?

I am new, so bear with me please.

:D

Allan

The Leica device (and copies, like for the Mamiya 7's) are similar- they fold over the viewfinder and you adjust it until you achieve the affect you want, and then fold it back over the lens.

Works well, and is only "somewhat" figety.

I just get a REAL BIG polarizer from my RB (77mm) and adjust it to were I want it, then simply cover the lens with it. Not the *best* way, but rather less expensive.

Allan, the ND works only for some rangefinders, such as the Leicas and the Japanese compacts which have a "limited" range of shutterspeeds. I wouldn't use a ND on a Contax G, for instance, unless it was an extremely sunny day.

I only put a ND filter on my most used RFs, which are a Leica and a Canonet, if the day is extremely bright, regardless of the film, or if I happen to have fast film loaded (anything from ISO 400 on).

jdos, thanks for the info on the Leica device!

Back