New York RFF in NYC, the Photographs

rover

Staff member
Local time
8:16 PM
I wanted to post some of the shots from our NYC adventure prior to heading off on vacation for a week and a half.

Everyone have a great time without me, I will be back some time around the 18th.

that smilin' man in black is me francisco.

good stuff ralph, enjoy that southern charm & hospitality, maybe try a mint julip or 2.

joe

Time to start scanning what I processed before my vacation. Here are more from the city...

Rover, looks like you were having fun... I particularly like Untitled-30 with the twin stroller with snoozing kids and mom on the cell, and by dynamic contrast the big guy striding in from the right. Further, his posture is similar to the other man going the opposite way. Strolling and striding, but certainly nobody there is violating the sign's instruction "No Standing Anytime"!

I also like Untitled-39 which has the young lady hailing a cab. Or at least I guess that's what she's doing, since I've never done that, though I've caught a cab at a cab stand and phoned for a cab. Anyway, the poster hanging from the light standard seems to offer a more dynamic version of her hailing posture. And it says "NYC" which sets the stage well. Could a crop emphasize this connection?

aizan, you are correct about moving closer, though these were taken with a 21mm lens so I was actually closer than perhaps you think. I actually liked using the 21 on the street, but to be honest with you, I think it was too wide for this reason. You really really have to be on top of your subject to use it in a lot of situations to be effective. I also used it prefocusing and actually not even using the viewfinder. I just aimed the camera where I was looking and used my field of view as the approximate composition tool. This was somewhat effective, but in many shots the composition was too loose or imprecise. Doug point out a couple good examples of these near misses, the street signs which should not have been chopped off.

30, 39 and 35 caught my eye and I found them more delightful than the rest. Good job, Ralph! I'm, again, green... but happy you brought good photos to enjoy! :)

Rover, could I give a try at cropping/editing #39? Say the word and I'll delete the post...

Doug, thank you, I do like that. I have been bopping around today and was thinking of cropping that shot as you had suggested. May I ask what you did in the editing to liven it up?

backalley photo said:
i think i prefer the original.

Joe, one of the things I have learned about using the 21mm lens is that even if your shot doesn't come out the way you see it, good chances are that it is on the film somewhere. A lens this wide captures so much. A good example is the shot of the Hard Rock Cafe with the cabs driving by. That is the image that I wanted, but I was too far from the subject to get it. I did crop that one to get the image I wanted from that negative.

i crop. i have nothing against cropping.
don't confuse me with frank:)

but in this case, your original shot conveys the feeling of hailing a cab in new york city better than the cropped shot -- to me.

the cropped shot is better at conveying a more graphic image and isolating the women better, but i prefer the original.

joe

Back