Ricoh 500G

oscroft

Mentor
Local time
3:23 AM
Does anyone here use a Ricoh 500G? How good is it? I'm looking for a compact "stuff in your pocket and take anywhere" rangefinder camera, but it must be one with a good lens and good results. And the 500G looks pretty compact and I read somewhere that they're quite robust. So, any information and opinions would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

I got a hold of a Ricoh 500G a few months ago and I have run 2 rolls of film through it. As you mention, it is a very robust camera, all metal construction, and is fully functional in both manual and auto modes. The lens is a 4 element, tessar type. Very good, sharp and with good contrast. All in all, I really like it. The meter seems especially accurate. I'd say that it is built better, but has a slightly inferior lens, than the Olympus RD and RC models.

Hi Rey,

I got a hold of a Ricoh 500G a few months ago and I have run 2 rolls of film through it. As you mention, it is a very robust camera, all metal construction, and is fully functional in both manual and auto modes. The lens is a 4 element, tessar type. Very good, sharp and with good contrast. All in all, I really like it. The meter seems especially accurate. I'd say that it is built better, but has a slightly inferior lens, than the Olympus RD and RC models
That's very interesting. The Olympus 35RC is the other one I'm thinking of, but the better build of the Ricoh might swing it - I really do want something I can drop into my coat pocket and forget about until I need it. And from what you say, the lens sounds good enough (I want a good lens, but it doesn't have to be the very best).

Thanks,

Don't let the build quality of the Oly RC put you off. It's all relative - I've had a Oly 35 RC banging about in my work bag and pockets for months now and before that I don't know what it was doing since it was made - it's been fine save lightseal replacement.

I have both the Ricoh 500G and Olympus 35RC.
Each one is sturdy and can take sharp pictures.

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

I have both the Ricoh 500G and Olympus 35RC.
Hmm, yes, maybe that's the answer :)

By the sounds of it, I should probably just go for whichever comes up first at the right price.

Thanks everyone,

Get an OLY 35RD--my best advice. Tiny/ superb lens
Interesting thought - Cameraquest rates it highly. Bigger than the RC though, and I've never seen one on sale (and I don't really need a 1.7 lens). But I'll keep my eyes open, thanks.

Can anyone suggest a resonable eBay price for a good working RC, RD or Ricoh 500G? (I'm pretty new to all of these and don't really know what to expect).

Thanks,

'Just a little bigger than an RC, but a whole lot more camera. Trust me--I have both. If you really wan to go light, try the Oly mjuII or Stylus (USA name) in non-zoom APS.

oscroft said:
Interesting thought - Cameraquest rates it highly. Bigger than the RC though, and I've never seen one on sale (and I don't really need a 1.7 lens). But I'll keep my eyes open, thanks.

Can anyone suggest a resonable eBay price for a good working RC, RD or Ricoh 500G? (I'm pretty new to all of these and don't really know what to expect).

Thanks,

Here is one up there now.

Hi Oscroft,

If you go for the Olympus RD, have the lens blades checked for oil. Olympus used a different lubricant in that model and it leaked into the lens blades of many. Most will need a good cleaning. As for the Ricoh, only the 500G is built like a tank, later models, such as the Sears 35rf, have alot more plastic.

Just a little bigger than an RC, but a whole lot more camera. Trust me--I have both
OK, thanks - my eyes are peeled. If I see a decent one at a decent price I might give it a go.

If you really wan to go light, try the Oly mjuII or Stylus (USA name) in non-zoom APS.
Auto-focus? Fully-auto meter? Built-in flash? Dear me no, that won't do at all :) But seriously, I'm only interested in a metal manual focus rangefinder, and either aperture or shutter priority metering is my upper acceptable limit in automation.

Here is one up there now.
Hmm, meter is broken, self-timer is snapped off and the shutter is sticky, and people are still bidding £20 for one. I wonder how much a working one would go for? Certainly worth watching to get a feel for prices - thanks.

If you go for the Olympus RD, have the lens blades checked for oil. Olympus used a different lubricant in that model and it leaked into the lens blades of many. Most will need a good cleaning. As for the Ricoh, only the 500G is built like a tank, later models, such as the Sears 35rf, have alot more plastic
Very useful info, thanks.

Thanks again everyone.

If you will be carrying it in your pocket, you don't want something too heavy either. The RC is an excellent choice. Personally, I'd get an XA.

If you will be carrying it in your pocket, you don't want something too heavy either. The RC is an excellent choice. Personally, I'd get an XA
An XA is an interesting suggestion, but I had an XA2 a while ago (still have it somewhere), and I never really liked the feel of it - I guess I just don't like polycarbonate cameras.

Sowing the seeds of indecision

Sowing the seeds of indecision

You will need a fairly large pocket for either the 35RC or 500G.

For something a little smaller (but just as heavy),
look at the Petri Color 35 and Rollei 35 S or T.
Of these I prefer the Petri. It's a very nice camera.

If you didn't like the feel of your XA2, you won't like an XA.
Nor the Minox 35's which are also lightweight plastic cameras.

Tiny (but fairly heavy) is the Holy Grail of pocket cameras,
the Contax T. It's a wonderful camera, but expensive...

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

In case you don't know about it, Karen Nakamura's site, photoethnography.com, has a write-up about this Ricoh 500 and many others that are in this discussion. I really like her site. It is the one that got me into rangefinder photography. Her writing might help make your choice easier. cheers,

http://www.photoethnography.com/

Back