Ricoh FF-1 - anyone use/own one of these?

amhildreth

Hootie-Hoo
Local time
3:20 PM
I picked up a used Ricoh FF-1 in good shape, and it should be in my hands later this week. It seems to be a close relative of the Minox 35. Does anyone have any good/bad feedback they can share with me about this camera?

Thanks,
Andy

I had one, and now have a Sears Mini 35 (Ricoh FF-1s).
It is a nice little folder, similar to the Minox 35s.
The Rikenon lens is not as sharp as the Minox,
but the Ricoh seems to be built a bit better,
something you'll appreciate if you carry it every day.

Chris

What does the FF-1 look like? Does it have the two barn doors that close over the lens as it retracts? If that's the FF-1, I bought one brand new in the box in Shreveport long after they quit making them. Mine was great and took very sharp pictures. Carried it a lot while traveling in E. Europe.

It looks like this:

ricoh-ff-1.jpg

I still have mine, nice little camera, solid and well made, excellent tessar type lens (thats what it says in the advertising flyer I still have )
The results from mine were indistinguishable from my Minox 35ML. It suffers from the same problem, OVER miniaturisation! The aperture scale is very fiddly to adjust, and the figures on the scales are tiny (fine if you have young eyes!!)
The Minox lenshood/filter also fits it.
But overall, a greatly underrated camera with a feather light shutter release, there is a more advanced version with delayed action.

Last edited:
I have a Ricoh FF-1s, an update version of Ricoh FF-1.
Though I prefer the design aesthetics of Minox, clean and precise, I think Ricoh FF-1s does have a slight advantage as a shooter.

The feather light shutter release is what I love most about the Ricoh. It's a big button giving a Perfect feedback, whereas my Minox gives a relatively uncertain feel. Also Ricoh's single stroke advance is such a relief from Minox's double stroke (that I might never get used to)... The hinged back is a bit more convenient, too.

For more info & photo results welcome to>> http://www.silvermoon.idv.tw/pho-ff1s000.html

Finally got the FF-1 the other day after being held up for a bit in Canadian customs. It's a great little camera, but it looks like the seals may need replacing soon. I'm going to run some film through it this weekend and see what develops.

Looking forward to seeing your results amhildreth. I 'inherited' one over the weekend - the condition is marginal but lens is clean. Will have to sort out seals as well. I don't suppose anyone here knows how easy it is to get inside one of these? Really want to give it bit of a clean myself rather than sending it away. I am keen to run some film through as I have always had good experienced with Ricoh stuff in the past - especially the GR1v. Like the feel of the FF1.

just trying a few more odd shots with, and then I'll post the results. I am noticing that with the exception of the shutter button, I think the FF-1 was designed for someone with much smaller hands than mine. :rolleyes:

I have both the FF-1 and the FF-1s. Lens quality is very good. Build quality is excellent. They're small and unobtrusive. The shutter is nearly silent. I keep ASA 1OO in one and 400 in the other. The shutter controlled exposure is nearly always dead on. If you like the simplicity and speed of zone focus, they're keepers.

I just have found one in the bay. Was looking for it for quite a while after I had read a good report about it in an older magazine.

I'm still very happy with mine after a few more rolls. The aperture selection seems to be dead-on in pretty much every lighting situation. As long as I mind the focus, the pics are great.

Got a question for owners of these cameras: are they supposed to be able to fire without film?
As soon as I shut the battery door, the film advance locks. With the door open, the film advance moves freely. The camera is powered (I see a yellow light inside when shooting in less than optimal light and the self timer seems to count down with a red LED.) No shutter movement.

Probably bought a dud...

Got a question for owners of these cameras: are they supposed to be able to fire without film?
As soon as I shut the battery door, the film advance locks. With the door open, the film advance moves freely. The camera is powered (I see a yellow light inside when shooting in less than optimal light and the self timer seems to count down with a red LED.) No shutter movement.

Probably bought a dud...

By battery door do you mean the door/cover that covers the lens? When that is close you cannot advance the film.

Anyway, I have a reason for reviving this thread.. just got one and everything seems very nice apart from the hazy viewfinder. Anyone know how to fix that?

FYI one huge design flaw is that the single strap eyelet is on the left side. Normally with a single eyelet I'd use a wrist strap. But that means that you cannot hold the camera and uses it with one hand, as the shutter button and advance is on the right side! So if you use a wrist strap, you always have to use two hands to operate this zone focus camera.

I took up the top to clean the haze out of the viewfinder, but found no way to remove the finder parts. So I gave up, because imo a hazy finder is better than a damaged camera.

Edit: I use a tripod mount screw-in strap lug for the Ricoh, that allows me to operate it one handed.

I took up the top to clean the haze out of the viewfinder, but found no way to remove the finder parts. So I gave up, because imo a hazy finder is better than a damaged camera.

Edit: I use a tripod mount screw-in strap lug for the Ricoh, that allows me to operate it one handed.

Thanks. Yeah it's hazy but still totally useable. I agree, I prefer that than me bolloxing it up! Hmm, my screw in lug would interfer with the rewind button. So strange they put the eyelet on the left side.
On the upside, the film advance lever is really nice - smoother than on my Bellamis. And the shutter button is very nice too. Let's see how the lens (and meter) shapes up!

Back