Ricoh GR monochrome

I am sure they have heard and thought about it before, so foresight is not the right term here. However, would it sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth it when we are dealing with supply issues, war, inflation and food shortages? I think we are lucky Ricoh even makes the GR at this point.

Yes, we are very lucky. My read is that the GR is a labor of love for a few folks across Ricoh internal teams and brings in enough to pay for continued tweaking. Not a lot of new software features to test, only a few competitors (most cost more), it's a great extra niche that they own.

B2 (;->

Not a GR user but from reading posts and viewing results here and other places it seems the GR B&W, whether from jpegs or RAW conversions, are very good indeed.
Would one expect a significant (whatever that means!) improvement from a Mono version?

Canyongazer
Agfa APX 100 @ E.I. 64 User in Mourning

Samuel just made a video about this. Since Ricoh might actually look at this then if any of you are really interested in such a camera go give your opinion on the comment section. Maybe you get your wish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0600jdCaE8

Would one expect a significant (whatever that means!) improvement from a Mono version?

You get about 1 stop of extra light (not with the conversion that removes the micro lenses though). The noise is a bit better and there is a bit of extra sharpness.

Some people argue for tonality differences but I have yet to see any convincing results and theoretically you can achieve the same tonality with a color sensor.

Noise wasn't the Ricoh GR best points and a monochrome version would help with large prints/PP and in lowlight
There is certainly better clarity/ microcontrast in the raw GR mono files

Back