Ricoh GR - Not just for street

Not to make this a Kauai-centric GR thread, but it was also my go-everywhere camera there over the holidays:

med_U45148I1420846814.SEQ.4.jpg

med_U45148I1420846813.SEQ.2.jpg

med_U45148I1420846812.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U45148I1420846811.SEQ.0.jpg

the GR is my ultra-light landscape/travel camera although I find the 28mm focal length hard to get used to

just be weary that you might get dust eventually in the sensor or between the lens element (had to send mine to Ricoh because I had some on the lens)

and since we're all sharing Kauai shots, here's some of mine

R0030398 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

Hanakapi’ai Falls by earl.dieta, on Flickr

R0030425 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

Thanks all - it's great to see all the GR/Kauai pics!

Apparently Calgarians like both the camera and the island :)

Tom - It's a great place and worth the trip.

hey Kevin, yes Kauai is probably my favourite Kauai island, you're the 3rd person I know that has gone or going to Kauai this year too
We're looking to go back there maybe later this Xmas.

Where's that Kauai Hike #2 located? looks like an awesome place to hike!

Did you get the GW3 converter?

Earl,
Was my third trip to Kauai and it's a fave for sure.
Kauai Hike #2 and Hike #1 on Flickr are from the Nounou trail. We started off 580 outside of Kapa'a, just past the falls there's a spot that's not really marked and the yellow gate is the start of the trail. There are other ways up, but this one was great. The photo was taken near the Mile 2 marker. You have to veer up the hill when you see that marker - we went past and started down towards another trailhead before turning around and seeing the trail continued up the hill.

Once at the top, you'll see picnic tables. Continue past those to the left and you'll come across a few more great vantage points. Trail is great when dry, but I wouldn't hazard it if wet.

I didn't get the converter, though 21mm would have come in handy at times I wish I would have had a telephoto with me.

Clearly there needs to be a Canadian GR Kauai thread. In fact, maybe just Calgary.

I'll just delete my work now since I'm merely a Cascadian haole ;-)

Charles, I wish the papio had been mine to cook. But the fisherman was cleaning his outrigger nearby, so I just got a visual taste.

Oh gosh, I mean, Eh!

Where we stay--the Makahuena in Poipu--seemed like Little Calgary this Xmas. Virtually everyone waiting in line for the grill the nights I cooked was from there, except for one equally sensible snowbird from Michigan.

At least the jerk part of the honorific will stick.

Robert - we met a lot of Canadians on our travels too. During a tasting at the Koloa Rum Company, BC, Alberta, and New Brunswick made up half the house!

Nick, thanks for posting those. The second is my fave of the bunch.

For the second year in a row, I'm leaving for a European trip with only my GR, leaving at home my Olympus EM5 and couple lenses.

(In my hands), the GR easily outperforms the Olympus with 17mm/f1.8 in 99% of situations save super low light. Landscape, "street", family snapshots, etc.

tumblr_nbi0svBJhn1qg7g9so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbi0rnmDQb1qg7g9so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbi0k0zNKR1qg7g9so2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbi0qbLqbC1qg7g9so1_1280.jpg

Back