Ricoh GR3 or Sony RX0?

JoeV

Thin Air, Bright Sun
Local time
5:00 AM
Help me decide between a Ricoh GR3, GR3X or Sony RX0. Pocketable camera, stills only, take anywhere. I’ve been a Panasonic U4/3 shooter for years but want something that I can truly take in my pocket and use anywhere, that’s not a phone.

None of these choices are perfect, I admit. The biggest downside of the RX0 is the F/4 aperture, IMO. As for the Ricoh, the known issues are: battery life, possible dust in lens/sensor and poor AF. But snap focus is a great option.

As for which Ricoh to get, from what I’ve read the 40mm equivalent “X” version struggles more with focus, whereas with the standard 28mm version I could just crop a bit in post. Much of my urban landscape work has been with wider lenses, so perhaps the standard GR3 would be fine for me. Also, by the time you add a WA adapter to the “X” version it’s no longer pocketable.

Thank you.

May I suggest the RX100, any of the Marks after 3? The tiny EVF I have found to be very useful, and I have configured it in such a way that the customizable ring around the lens zooms in steps, from 24mm to 28mm, 35, 50 and finally 70. Flippy screen is nice, and so is the pop up flash.

I have the RX0. Great for carrying around everywhere but it has poor ergonomics. Tiny screen, tiny buttons. Great for point-and-shoot. The 24mm equiv. is a bit on the wide side for versatility.

The GR cameras are much more photographer's cameras. If you want something that is quick to control and shoot, the GR is the better choice. The issues are there, but they're a bit overrated. Just make sure you send it in if something goes awry within your warranty period. Also, as a GR IIIx owner and a GR III owner before that I see absolutely no difference in focus speed. People have tried really hard to pick out these differentiating details between the III and IIIx but they just don't exist. It feels and acts identically.

May I suggest the RX100, any of the Marks after 3? The tiny EVF I have found to be very useful, and I have configured it in such a way that the customizable ring around the lens zooms in steps, from 24mm to 28mm, 35, 50 and finally 70. Flippy screen is nice, and so is the pop up flash.

Seconded! I have the Mk3, and it is superb. Likewise, I have configured the lens ring as a stepped zoom, which makes it very usable. Not especially cheap, it's true - but definitely an excellent contender.

I think RX0 is designed to be bolted to something and used like a GoPro-type action camera. If you plan on going rafting, want to mount it to your bicycle handlebars, go skydiving or send it aloft in a drone, or getting it wet, this could be the camera for you. But as a handheld camera, not so much.

Studies have shown the pockets been dirty place.
I never put my GRDs just into the pocket, but into the protective pouch first.

I never had problem with f4 24mm lens on film Bessa. Indoors included. Or with anything named as landscape.
The biggest problem with everyday use is 24mm fov. You have to be close to something with it. Or frame is just empty.

GR III has 28, 35 and 50 fov modes.

RX0II is way better camera than RX0, IMO.

I am going to just say it, the only people who buy a Sony RX100 series camera and like it better than the GR is those who prefer a zoom. I find the RX100 series to be horrible ergonomically and unusable after iso 800. I will say it works really well at ISO 100 though.

Studies have shown the pockets been dirty place.
I never put my GRDs just into the pocket, but into the protective pouch first.

I never had problem with f4 24mm lens on film Bessa. Indoors included. Or with anything named as landscape.
The biggest problem with everyday use is 24mm fov. You have to be close to something with it. Or frame is just empty.

GR III has 28, 35 and 50 fov modes.

RX0II is way better camera than RX0, IMO.

I liked my Rx0 so much I got the ii for backup.
it can focuse closer and have a flip screen but sadly that lens is bigger and had heavy barrel distortion

Last edited:
Back