Ricoh GR3 vs GR2

Well, B&H is expecting a shipment of GR3 on Monday March 18. I have placed my order on hold as I would like to play with one in a store before having to spend $25-40 on return shipping if I decide it is not for me. I will not be leaving on my RTW trip until late September so I have lots of time.

I am even thinking of carrying one of my film Leica's as a backup to the MP240. It makes my kit a bit heavier but can of course use the same lenses as the MP240.

I would love to hear reports from people here who ordered the GR3 what they think of the camera once it is in hand.

Flash and battery life. Personally I don't think the missing "exposure compensation buttons" and AF-ON button/lever are as much a deal.

for me personally the exposure lock button is the third most used button after the power and shutter buttons. I could live with the directional buttons deleted or the screen getting ****tier, but that one button is why I love shooting the GRII so much.

Hopefully, this post marks the end of my indecision about GR2 and GR3. I did not feel good about dropping $1000 for a GR3 as the last thing I need is another camera but I wanted some type of small portable digital as a backup and to carry when the MP240 would be out of place.

I ordered a GR2 which B&H has for essentially $475 ($75 dollar B&H gift certificate). I figured the 16 mega pixel was good enough on the X70 so it should be fine on the GR2 and I really did want the built in flash.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

$1000 is rough when you're not excited. Good luck with the GR II. It will feel as good as the X70 (in usage) while being lighter and smaller.

Thanks for that link, b.

Looking at their list of "cons" I mostly shrug my shoulders and I'm guessing many if not most RFFers do the same:
  • Doesn't offer 4K video recording - don't care
  • Poor video quality (and options) - don't care
  • Doesn't offer tilting screen - hip shot when necessary
  • Fixed focal length is not for everyone - but if it IS for you....
  • Short battery life - bring another battery (!)
To me, this makes the "pro" side of the ledger quite attractive.

Hopefully, this post marks the end of my indecision about GR2 and GR3. I did not feel good about dropping $1000 for a GR3 as the last thing I need is another camera but I wanted some type of small portable digital as a backup and to carry when the MP240 would be out of place.

I ordered a GR2 which B&H has for essentially $475 ($75 dollar B&H gift certificate). I figured the 16 mega pixel was good enough on the X70 so it should be fine on the GR2 and I really did want the built in flash.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

I think you made the right choice. Saved a fistful of money and you will have an excellent backup... and built in flash can very useful. You will end up using the GR2 more than you think!

I was really tempted to get the GR3 but remembering that the X70 worked just fine with 16 megapixels and that I never needed a optical viewfinder with it (walked over two hundred miles across England on the C2C eighteen months ago), the GR2 should work just fine.

If my wife had not destroyed the X70 I would not be in the market. She offered to pay for its replacement (when we pulled the ruined X70 from her pack) but I said forget it. I wonder if I should remind her of her offer from six months ago.

No, discretion is the better part of valor especially in a marriage.

I think you will be happy with the results you get from the GRII. It's a different system from the Fuji so remember to give yourself some adjustment time. Once you get used to how the camera handles and operates, I believe you'll be more than satisfied. And even though I never use it, it does have a flash built into it.

Back