Ring in IVSB

Interesting. According to Dechert's Canon rangefinder book, this is a late-production IVSB2 serial number too. You wonder if they found a bunch of old parts laying around and used them on whatever camera was coming down the line.

Jim B.

It is just a late assembled IVSb.
It is all IVSb save for the slightly improved finder for the then current IVSb2 production run.

I have one of these in between models along with the earlier IVSb and the IVSb2 and when I say "slightly improved" it is really slightly improved and thats it.

I Think what has happened is that all the parts from an IVSB have been put onto an IVSB2 top plate. I am keeping a data list on the origins of these hybrids which seem to be coming out of Japan.

Would this be a IVSB with a IVSB2 finder? I just got another IVSB and suddenly realised that the finder on it was way smaller then on my other one! I never thought there would be such a difference looking through them!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
I wonder if the finder is actually different, or it is just that the finder eyepiece, which is attached to the top plate rather than the body of the RF assembly, is different. According to Peter D's book, there was a lot of overlap, and concurrent production of Canon cameras. Also, Canon seemed to have a this-is-Tuesday-so-we-must-have-a-new-model-number philosophy, introducing a new model after tiny changes, so serial numbers are not very helpful as a guide to sort them out.
The IVSB2 is certainly a lovely camera though, very solidly made (800gm with 1.8 lens!) and with an excellent finder, I have to agree that it really is the best bottom loader ever made.

Cheers,
Dez

Back