Robert Redford uses a Holga!

bkrystad

Established
Local time
1:06 AM
Okay, a couple disclaimers: I don't have a Holga myself (my brother-in-law does, though) and I don't buy things from the Sundance catalog. But I did leaf through the latest copy and stumbled on this item:

"A cult favorite turned classic, the Holga camera derives its iconic and iconclastic reputation from a quirky lens and quintessential affordability. Each unique lens imbues photos with an abstract, color-saturated, dreamlike quality -- all the serendipity you need to take your art -- or play -- to another level. Includes book with instructions, roll of 120 film, AA batteries and sealing tape. $75."

I thought that was a rather eyebrow-raising description, and an equally eyebrow-raising price. But at least it comes with the sealing tape.

I thought the model holding the Holga looked appropriately clueless. I wonder how many typical Sundance customers who go for this will feel the same?

Attachments

• holga3.jpg
    holga3.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
$75? That's even worse than the $60 that Urban Outfitters charges for their Holga-and-a-book-in-a-pretty-box contraption.

I paid $25 for mine (through Freestyle), and considering how little I use it even that was too much to pay for a plastic toy.

A fool and his money... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up anyway. That catalogue made the news once when they showed a mighty Chevy 1952 pick up truck for sale. Of course, they were asking a nifty bundle for it.

BTW, I don't think she's holding a camera in her hand... Looks like a little bag to me... but then, again, the Holga is supposed to be small.

Last edited:
SolaresLarrave said:
BTW, I don't think she's holding a camera in her hand... Looks like a little bag to me... but then, again, the Holga is supposed to be small.

Nope, that's definitely a Holga. Look at the left side (her right), and notice the lump from where the flash is. Holga for sure.

Wouldn't it be funny, though, if there was a surge in the use of 120 film. I wonder how many folks are going to try to drop it off at Walgreens. :D

The lomographic society sells a similar bundle (they also sell FED 5's for a premium)....As long as it's still possible to get these items for a reasonable price......

Bet he's ever seen or used a holga in real life or he wouldnt be selling it for that price.....then again

Last edited:
This is good! very good! from another perspective, that is...

I hope this will make Kodak, Fuji, etc. think twice before deciding to drop the 120 format, which I think is the most versatile film format out there. I mean what else let you literally select how wide your negatives are?

This is maybe the only thing that I appreciate about the Holga/Lomo/etc. that is they do drive up demands on 120 films.

... oh and I also enjoy occasionally good photos out of a Holga on flickr or here on RFF :D

it's even more expensive than the one at trendy shop Colette in Paris (about 35€ if I remember well). They have a special corner for lomographic apparatus, the only one that doesn't change every week. There's also a M8 with its matching Summicron 35 for sale, and it's the only item that isn't 4x the regular price...

Several months ago the Sundance catalog featured a Seagull TLR camera. Looks like a recurring theme.

WOW I watch the Sundance channel quite a bit and didn't even know they had a catalog. Don't think i'll be buying anything there any time soon at those prices.

Back