Rodinal clone and current HC-110 shelf-life?

Correct, Sino produced the new version which is water-based not glycol based. The old version is not produced by anyone anymore.

Marty
I have some bottles of HC110 made by SINO and TETENAL
Just looked through to confirm and found out that SINO version is EXACTLY THE SAME as the TETENAL one, which is glycol base.
I snap the ingrdients for proof,
check it out. The first photo is snap of TETENAL bottle to compare. 1712758618427.png

1712758495744.png

1712758558185.png

I have some bottles of HC110 made by SINO and TETENAL
Just looked through to confirm and found out that SINO version is EXACTLY THE SAME as the TETENAL one, which is glycol base.
I snap the ingrdients for proof,
check it out. The first photo is snap of TETENAL bottle to compare. View attachment 4835985

View attachment 4835983

View attachment 4835984
This is a list of contents, not a formula. They are not the same. The proportions of the organic alkalis are different and the principal solvent in the Sino version is water which contains sulfite, not glycol containing liquid sulfite as an organic complex. Measure the viscosity, or the sodium content. The proportions of catechol (1,2 benzene diol) and hydroquinone (1,4 benzene diol) also differ.

The MDS for each product demonstrates much of this:

Detailed and discussed here:

The results are the same but the formulas are different.

Analysed here:

Marty

Last edited:
This is a list of contents, not a formula. They are not the same. The proportions of the organic alkalis are different and the principal solvent in the Sino version is water which contains sulfite, not glycol containing liquid sulfite as an organic complex. Measure the viscosity, or the sodium content. The proportions of catechol (1,2 benzene diol) and hydroquinone (1,4 benzene diol) also differ.

The MDS for each product demonstrates much of this:

Detailed and discussed here:

The results are the same but the formulas are different.

Analysed here:

Marty

I totally got your point here that the OLD and NEW formulars are different.
But the key point here is: we are not sure whether SINO was making the OLD for NEW formula.
Looking at the viscosity I found the SINO one and TETENAL one are no different and it's quite thick.
That's why i SUSPECTED that it's the old version.
A guy here also share the same thought with me.

I totally got your point here that the OLD and NEW formulars are different.
But the key point here is: we are not sure whether SINO was making the OLD for NEW formula.
Looking at the viscosity I found the SINO one and TETENAL one are no different and it's quite thick.
That's why i SUSPECTED that it's the old version.
A guy here also share the same thought with me.
The Sino Promise bottle I had was definitely the new formulation with much lesser viscosity. Sino might have packaged or labelled the end of the Tetenal manufacturing run, but I doubt they had the technology to manufacture the old formula. If you really want to know, check the water content of the developer you have using copper (II) sulfate or cobalt chloride.

Marty

Some further research uncovered some interesting evidence:

IMG_5894.jpeg

This is a “Made in Germany for SinoPromise” bottle of HC-110. It is the old formula (and I see it being sold as such in several places). It is possible that there are other variants, but the product I looked at in the round SinoPromise bottle with Made in China on it was the new formula, and I really doubt that SinoPromise made any of the old formula, but who knows how what was packed and labelled?

As I said, test for water, or measure the viscosity against a known standard.

Some further research uncovered some interesting evidence:

View attachment 4836051

This is a “Made in Germany for SinoPromise” bottle of HC-110. It is the old formula (and I see it being sold as such in several places). It is possible that there are other variants, but the product I looked at in the round SinoPromise bottle with Made in China on it was the new formula, and I really doubt that SinoPromise made any of the old formula, but who knows how what was packed and labelled?

As I said, test for water, or measure the viscosity against a known standard.
My German made HC-110 for SINO is also the last batch of the old formular in old shape bottle that I have (EXP 2023),
Current SINO made in China has expire date of 2025. Still no way to test for water as I dont have any special tool for that.
Just pure my judgement from looking of the color and the viscosity.

Back