Rollei 35 Classic!

rob.nyc1

Established
Local time
8:21 AM
Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum. I've been shooting with a Rollei 35 Classic for about 5 months now, and I'd like to share some of my favorite images taken with this incredible camera. Along with my Nikon SP 2005, it is one of my favorite things on the planet.

59618314_117519436121877_1551583538055030458_n.jpg

52897007_188628375445317_8994615174802355453_n.jpg

58453520_319897762021753_7209263196424736734_n.jpg

Black and white shots were taken with Tri-X and a yellow filter. The color shot is using Fuji C100, which is my favorite color film.

Happy shooting!
Rob

Wonderful camera! And wonderful you sharing your inspiration here Rob! If I may, your images deserve more space between them when you post.

David

P.S. I like all three

Be careful, a Rollei 35 is addictive;-)
These are fine photos!
I especially like the surreal and a little post-apocalyptic look of the second one. The word PARK in the background looks like an ironic comment to the scenery!

Hey guys thanks for the feedback!! I’ll definitely check out that blog, and I’ll keep posting photos on the Rollei 35 thread as they come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back into Rollei 35s myself.

In the 90s, I had a 35 S (similar to your Classic) that I shot with. I think it was dropped one too many times though, as the results were never up to the standard of the Sonnar lens.

Now, I have a Singapore 35, with the Tessar lens. This one is awesome.

I bought a B 35 for sentimental reasons; my grandpa had one when I was a kid. The selenium light meter is on its last leg, though. I'm on the fence as to whether I should resell this or buy a separate light meter. (it's already enough work, shooting with a Rollei 35, right?!)

Here are a few images from my 35. The film was Tri-X, processed at home with D-76 and "scanned" with the Nikon ES-2 digitizer outfit on my OM-D E-M10 II adapted to my Panasonic 12-60 f/3.5-5.6 lens with a step-up ring. (58-62 mm)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182935075@N04/

Let me try to embed one here. (full size are at the link above)

I'm just amazed by the sharpness, when I do my part.

My first 35 was a B35 bought at Woolco about 1975. Sold it a few years later. One of the first things I bought after joining eBay in 1998 was another B35. Great camera but weak lens mounting and finicky small controls. Loved the built in meter, Hated the bottom mounted flash!

Bought a 35SE in Munich during 1986. made the mistake of loaning it to the daughter of a (then) friend. Sold it (damaged but still working) in 1990 for what I paid for it.

Bought another 2 years ago (via "that auction" web site) and it's as good as the first.

Between the 2, I owned and used a 35B (B35) and a 35 LED; I wish I could find another for a reasonable price. The 35B(B35) especially, is excellent for someone touring.

My first 35 was a B35 bought at Woolco about 1975. Sold it a few years later. One of the first things I bought after joining eBay in 1998 was another B35. Great camera but weak lens mounting and finicky small controls. Loved the built in meter, Hated the bottom mounted flash!

The B 35 I mentioned above turned out to be missing a screw for the top plate, which I didn't notice in the auction photos. I ordered a screw from a Korean seller; took 3 weeks to get here. I went to put it in, and found out why the screw was missing: the hole is stripped. Seems to be plastic underneath. :bang:

There are only two screws holding that top plate on: one on each side, so it makes me nervous to be missing one. I think I will keep my eye out for a slightly bigger, more coarsely-threaded screw to put in there.

Compared to the original design, the film advance/shutter cocking works on the B 35 feels like its got rocks in it. I don't mind the lack of slower shutter speeds, though it would be nice to at least go down to 1/15 sec. for those really desperate moments. It's not really a tripod-type camera anyway.

My Rollei 35 (Tessar) won't go quite to f/22 or f/3.5. Works great otherwise, but it too needs a CLA.

Despite all this, I've been having better luck with my Rollei 35s than with my rangefinders. They're making great, sharp negatives. No foam is needed for these to be light proof, and they only need electronics for the light meter.

• I took a $10 gamble on a Yashica GSN at the thrift shop and lost. It needs at least the pad replaced, maybe more. I haven't decided if I'm going to open it up and have a go at fixing it myself or sell it as a parts camera for $10.
  • Yashica Electro 35 CC in mint cosmetic condition. Paid $150 shipped for this one from a Japanese ebay seller. Its light meter seems unreliable. Sometimes over exposing and sometimes under. This one might also need the Pad of Death replaced. Hopefully, I'll gain valuable experience on the GSN and be an expert by the time I get to this little peach? I have high hopes for this one still, since it has a nice six element 35/1.8 lens.
  • My other film camera, my granddad's OM1N, needs light seals replaced, which I'm procrastinating on doing, even though I have the kit on hand.

I've had an Olympus RC, Konica Auto S2 and Canonet QL17 III. The Oly needed a CLA but didn't feel worth it. The Konica had a laggy shutter at low speeds, and I like my Yashica GS better, for a 45 mm lens.

I guess my point to all this is that Rollei 35s seem to be more stout, despite their size and often dented up appearance.

The B35 and C35 are the best looking and the Triotar lens doesn't disappoint; it's the guts that let it down, in my opinion.

For my part, I need to quit buying these cameras, pick a couple that I like and have them properly serviced; enjoy what I've got.

Back